D&D 5E Is there any hope of seeing ToB style maneuvers in 5e?

Dausuul

Legend
We have explicit confirmation from people in the closed playtest that there are "complex fighter" and "simple mage" options. We don't know what they look like, but we do know they exist, so the speculation on that can end at least. Not that it will, but it could.

I hope they keep the basic concept of maneuvers, but break away from the "grenade" model (where you have a belt full of maneuvers and once you use a maneuver, it's gone till you have a chance to restock your belt). One idea I'd like to see explored would be a system in which you randomly determine each round what maneuvers you have available that round--the idea being that one round you might see an opportunity to use Deadly Strike, the next round your opponent covers up and the opportunity is lost, but now you see an opening for a Sudden Leap.

They sort of half-did this with the Crusader in ToB, but the system was rather clunky and unwieldy. If done right, I could see the fighter class becoming very interactive and improvisational, where you're always looking for clever ways to use the opportunities chance throws in your path, instead of busting out the same old series of moves every time.

Last edited:

Ruzak

First Post
...One idea I'd like to see explored would be a system in which you randomly determine each round what maneuvers you have available that round--the idea being that one round you might see an opportunity to use Deadly Strike, the next round your opponent covers up and the opportunity is lost, but now you see an opening for a Sudden Leap. ...
I really like this randomization idea. It allows for the cinematic opportunities 4e powers do, without the artificial daily or encounter limit. An opportunity to trip opening up every once in a while is more realistic than it always being available, as in 3e. Cool maneuvers without spamming. I like it.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
I really like this randomization idea. It allows for the cinematic opportunities 4e powers do, without the artificial daily or encounter limit. An opportunity to trip opening up every once in a while is more realistic than it always being available, as in 3e. Cool maneuvers without spamming. I like it.

I like it but think it should be less random.

Maybe the maneuvers have requirements:

Opportunistic Trip
Requirement: An adjacent enemy moves or shifts.
Action: reaction
Effect: Make an attack against the targets Dexterity score. If you hit, you have tripped the target.

Leaping Flip
Requirement: An adjacent enemy attacked a target other than you on their last turn.
Action: Move
Effect: Make a Dexterity check against DC 12 if you succeed you end up 10' away on the opposite side of the target. If you fail, you fall prone. The target cannot take an opportunity attack against you.

Deadly Strike
Requirement: An adjacent enemy shifts or attacks you and misses.
Action: Standard
Effect: Make an attack against the enemy. If you hit add 1d6 damage (or 2d6 damage if you are level 10 or higher).

etc...etc...

Remove ads