D&D 5E Is there any hope of seeing ToB style maneuvers in 5e?

Ashkelon

First Post
Do you think we will ever see martial classes with interesting martial capabilities in 5e?
Do you even want in your game?
What are your thoughts regarding an optional book that brings more mechanical variety to weapon users?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I think we will see a supplement giving martial classes interesting martial capabilities in 5e at some point and i'd definitly want to see some eventually. Its probably best as an optional module supplement that can be incorporated in people's campaign if they wish to, or not if they don't.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was that sort of option in the core books... but then, nothing would surprise me about this edition. Except, you know, about everything. :)

There is no reason that ToB style manoeuvres couldn't be part of the game. They may first appear in a Dragon Magazine article, or in their own supplement...

Cheers!

I wish it were so, and in core... but I doubt it...

Mike Mearls might as well stick him middle finger up and say "Fighter's can't have nice things" at this point...

Ichneumon

First Post
I think it will be in the tactical combat module they've mentioned.

Yes. I think there'll be subclasses that are specifically designed to work with the tactical combat module. Ki-based subclasses are another home for ToB style maneuvers, especially the more 'supernatural' ones.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I don't know what ToB style maneuvers are, but I'm sure there will be some sort of robust tactical options for warrior classes in the "Standard" rulebook. Whether that'll be part of the initial release is another story.

Ashkelon

First Post
I don't know what ToB style maneuvers are, but I'm sure there will be some sort of robust tactical options for warrior classes in the "Standard" rulebook. Whether that'll be part of the initial release is another story.

I don't really want a robust tactical maneuver system though. I just want maneuvers that provide certain martial warriors the ability to make interesting decisions on each of their turns.

Oh well, it really seems like people don't understand why having maneuvers would be interesting. 13th age has maneuvers and has no grid at all.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't really want a robust tactical maneuver system though. I just want maneuvers that provide certain martial warriors the ability to make interesting decisions on each of their turns.

Oh well, it really seems like people don't understand why having maneuvers would be interesting. 13th age has maneuvers and has no grid at all.

It might instead, or also, be in the customization module they've mentioned.

As for 13th Age...I hear it's a fine game, I just don't think 5e is all that similar to it.

Klaus

First Post
"Complex martial characters" was one of the biggest hits in 4e, so I think the concept will likely be in DDN in some form.

Remove ads