D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

Mercurius

Legend
Here's a question. My memory of Planescape is fuzzy enough, with my remaining books (the box set etc) in storage a quarter-world away, that I can't come up with anything, but if they were to create a 5E Planescape book with the title format Volo's, Mordkenkainen's, and Xanathar's, who would be the named NPC that would be attached to the phrase XXX's Manual of the Planes? Who is the Volo of Sigil? Or someone who could fill the role?

The Lady of Pain's Manual of the Planes doesn't exactly sound marketable, nor does the Goofy Githyanki's Guide of the Planes.

Here's a question. My memory of Planescape is fuzzy enough, with my remaining books (the box set etc) in storage a quarter-world away, that I can't come up with anything, but if they were to create a 5E Planescape book with the title format Volo's, Mordkenkainen's, and Xanathar's, who would be the named NPC that would be attached to the phrase XXX's Manual of the Planes? Who is the Volo of Sigil? Or someone who could fill the role?

The Lady of Pain's Manual of the Planes doesn't exactly sound marketable, nor does the Goofy Githyanki's Guide of the Planes.

Shemeshka, I'd guess.

Moon magic is based on the order of wizardry. The order of wizardry are heavily based on good and neutrality and evil. The moons too.

As you say, it's tied to the orders of wizardry, not the alignment of the characters. A good sorcerer doesn't get affected by Solinari, but a good Wizard of High Sorcery does. So in a mechanical sense, it is tied to class, not to alignment. Now it may be that class (or in a probable 5E interpretation, subclass, has an alignment requirement, but that's second order. The mechanic is the class, and there is support for that in 5E.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Yeah, like @humble minion says, Shemeska is one of the narrators of MToF. They haven't done the [Proper Name's] [Book] of [Nouns] format in a couple years now, though.

Worth pointing out there is already a stealth Dragonlance character in 5E.

Arkhan the Cruel, Dragonborn (Draconian) "Dragon Highlord" worshipper of Tiamat (Takhisis). Complete with Easley and Elmore art.

EUo8e0CUEAIIHOe.jpg

(It seems fairly straightforward to assume Arkhan may be Joe's 2nd edition Dragonlance character ported into 5th edition and the Forgotten Realms/Exandria.)

Mercurius

Legend
Worth pointing out there is already a stealth Dragonlance character in 5E.

Arkhan the Cruel, Dragonborn (Draconian) "Dragon Highlord" worshipper of Tiamat (Takhisis). Complete with Easley and Elmore art.

EUo8e0CUEAIIHOe.jpg

(It seems fairly straightforward to assume Arkhan may be Joe's 2nd edition Dragonlance character ported into 5th edition and the Forgotten Realms/Exandria.)

Man, I dislike Dragonborn.

Remove ads

Remove ads