D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is there a code-word for this release, or has that stopped?
Not that it would be much help based on past releases.... The actual previous content releases usually provide more clues than their silly code-words.

I'm sure there is a code name, but they haven't leaked it.

Icewind Dale has been mentioned a lot. I'm out of the loop. Was there some info that suggested Icewind Dale would get some attention? I feel like if it did it will be a rehash of the wealth of info that was in Legacy of the Crystal Shard. Much like Murder in Bladurs Gate was reused in Descent. Anyone have any info on this?

G

Guest 6801328

I am just waiting for Trudvang 5e now, tbh. I buy most of what WotC puts out, because it isn't that much. I have skipped a few things, in which I have no interest. I just started reading the Trudvang that I already have, to get a head start. I backed their relaunch kickstarter, but never read much of the material, 'cause I knew my group didn't want to learn a new system. But, now...

Yeah I’m excited for Trudvang.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Icewind Dale has been mentioned a lot. I'm out of the loop. Was there some info that suggested Icewind Dale would get some attention? I feel like if it did it will be a rehash of the wealth of info that was in Legacy of the Crystal Shard. Much like Murder in Bladurs Gate was reused in Descent. Anyone have any info on this?

That's what I've been thinking. It's a good time to reuse and flesh-out the Legacy of the Crystal Shard material, with a new story (so it's more like a sequel than a remake, but using the location-based information). This is exactly what they did with Descent into Avernus, like you say, and it worked well for them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The rumor going around the AL circuit is that the next AL Season involves Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale was a featured location in the recent Lareal Silverhand Explorer's Guide, alongside previous Adventure book locations like Waterdeep and Chult. The art for the upcoming streaming game has an Arctic theme, as well, and the Dark Alliance game coming out soon is set in Icewind Dale.

It would work very well in a structure similar to Descent into Avernus, taking that older Gazateer as a chapter and having an introductory chapter for low level characters in Icewind Dale proper.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
If you look at MtG code names they are so completely unrelated with the actual product, not sure a leak would help anyway.

One of the block's after Zendikar is code-name hockey. Can't wait for the Canadian/Russian themed magic deck!
I hope Hockey is actually related to a plane where sports is featured. A mechanic about working together boosting attack or defense would make sense. Equipment that works like bats, sticks, bows, balls, etc.
A pole-vaulter who skips over a blocking creature.

There's a lot of mechanical space in sports that the fantasy genre ignores.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
On the contrary, the end of the novels is probably the best thing to happen to Dragonlance as a setting since it ends the metaplot that jerked it around too much. (See also, Forgotten Realms. Although their metaplot was driven by the game - Dragonlance's were by the novels)

Regardless, as a big Dragonlance fan if they do release, I suspect it'll be a tired rehash of the original modules and in that case, Do not want.
That's the worry, a simple retread/update of the 1e stuff to 5e wouldn't be near as good. A return to the game world with new adventures, storylines, drama etc would be great. I think that you are correct that most likely they'll do what they've been doing, which is just updating old material though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Just a few little things, nothing solid.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Just a few little things, nothing solid.

So basically, most likely the next season of The Adventurer's League will take place in the Icewind Dale area. Also maybe some campaign module book for the area as well. We aren't seeing a return to the Dark Sun or Dragonlance settings or even a new setting. Gotcha. 👍

Remove ads

Remove ads