D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
I was going to pass on Wildemount too but then my FLGS offered it on sale during the lockdown so I thought I’d buy it to help them stay afloat. Will be picking it up next time I go into the office.
Actually did the same thing last week. Snagged that and "Acquisitions Inc" finally. I prefer physical copies/pdf's and WotC annoys me with their whole anti pdf stance on 5e. So about the only things I tend to pick up from my FLGS is the occasional DnD book and figures. Or Monte Cook games stuff since MCG's sells pdfs and books separately. Though unlike WotC at least they offer both.

Mercurius

Legend
Well in fact the 2ed Tales of the Lance Boxed Set aka Dragonlance campaign setting has a very sandboxy design as eg the Grey Box of Faerun has. True the timeline you play in is set short after Chronicles and Legends novels, but then the world is given to the players/GM.

Besides the usual world and area description a list of places with intriguing names was included spilled as marks over the world map for DM and players to flesh out and explore.

For this topic see also this article:Dragonlance was a Unique Sandbox

Sure: any setting can be used as a sandbox. But my point is that Dragonlance was designed around an epic story, which gives it a tonal difference from, say, GH and FR, which developed more organically around game-play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So basically, most likely the next season of The Adventurer's League will take place in the Icewind Dale area. Also maybe some campaign module book for the area as well. We aren't seeing a return to the Dark Sun or Dragonlance settings or even a new setting. Gotcha. 👍
Dunno. You’re concluding more from that than I did.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
@Paragon Lost I’m not an AI fan at all but bought the AI book on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by it. I think it’s a seriously underrated book.

The rules for bases are good, and the adventure looks to be well written.

I think it would be easy to strip off the AI branding and just use most of what’s in the book without it.
Agreed, a lot to make use of in the book, which indeed was a pleasant surprise.

ddaley

Explorer
I would be quite happy with material based around Icewind Dale. I liked Legacy of the Crystal Shard, but there was a bit too much going on for my group to keep track of. But, the area was great... the yeti fight was a lot of fun.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Dunno. You’re concluding more from that than I did.
The more I think about it, the more I think that my speculation is on the mark. WotC tends to approach things in a cautious manner in my opinion. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if I'm correct.

Remove ads

Remove ads