OSR Is there room in modern gaming for the OSR to bring in new gamers?

LoganRan

Explorer
OD&D and 5e cater to different desires, and it's not a matter of challenge vs. power fantasy, not really. From what I've seen, it's the difference between exploring a mysterious and dangerous environment while having few tools other than your wits to contend with what you find (think Myst plus monsters death-traps) and creating a highly customizable OC that you get to take through a compelling story. These are two related but fundamentally separate hobbies, and understanding them that way carries, I think, a great deal of explanatory power concerning their appeal.
This paragraph, particularly the part I bolded, so clearly states exactly why I love old-school gaming. For me, the game will always be about the adventure, not my character. My favorite adventure of all time is the oft derided "funhouse dungeon", White Plume Mountain, precisely because of its crazy, fantastic environment which was an absolute joy to experience.

By the by, I was looking at the cover of the Moldvay Basic book yesterday and only then noticed that the tag line reads: Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Game, not Fantasy Role Playing Game (although it does use the second phrase at the bottom of the cover.)

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I have no nostalgia for our first six months of playing D&D Basic in 1980. The characters died all the time. It was unfun to us. When we switched to AD&D a decision was made to do a heroic campaign with the scope of LOTR. That is when D&D became fun for us. It's not a modern thing. We did that 41 years ago.

As for the OP, sure why not, parents teach D&D to their children with the edition they prefer.

Spent the winter of 2021 reading B/X and Old School Essentials. I don't want to go there. If I was to teach D&D specifically to someone these days I would use the 5e Essential Kits. If I was to teach fantasy RPG to someone I would use Fantasy AGE instead.

Last edited:

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
The old systems served by or emulated by the OSR were puzzle boxes. The design of the dungeons and traps, the monsters to avoided rather than necessarily fought, and the characters with few in-game bells and whistles, those all were built around the players navigating by their own wits various challenges. The modern game’s fleshing out over time of the adventure plot and in particular the character (with its codified abilities) as the means through which the PC makes their decisions and actions more directly has changed that dynamic (and the role of monsters — with the switch from “gold as XP” to monster XP as a driver — has accompanied the switch in plot drivers).

Neither is a wrong way to play, and what we see in later D&D was present in other “crunchier” games early on (notice the design credentials for other systems the crew for 3rd edition had, for example). Likewise, many streamlined games of new systems run on more similar conceits to the older D&D model, even if there’s not the complex post-wargaming chassis (the modern D&D math is far more elegant and not the determinant either way — indeed, part of why many OSR games work is that their OGL math works better than the BX or AD&D math they’re emulating). It’s simply a matter of which focus a given game presents to players.

I see a number of blogs of writers playing AD&D or OSR with their kids and their kids’ friends, due to that open-world/puzzle box nature (even if these same writers also play 5th edition themselves). I’m reminded of how I was introduced to AD&D as a child in the same manner, stumbling through avoiding dangers and figuring out how to open dungeon gates (while quickly learning how not to get killed). As much as the ongoing stories of WotC-era D&D have given me some of my best gaming memories over my adult life, I still always think back to the AD&D of my childhood and teen years and consider how well that works as a Beer & Pretzel problem-solving game on the order of many board games. I think the OSR can approach things like that in presentation and marketing to some succes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I will say this, and yeah, I admit it's my own experience, but I find it much better to use B/X for new players who are also younger kids, than 5e, or even 5e basic. With the streamlined rules of B/X (less to learn), it's not only easier for them, but kids have a great imagination. They constantly just use that imagination to come up with new and interesting ways to address challenges, often not bothering to look at the character sheet at all. I love that. They don't have preconceived notions of what a PC can or can't do within the rules like experienced players have, and it seems that the imaginations of kids are much more open to all different types of ideas. That old school style of "players used their wits rather than codified character abilities or tools" lends very well to the unbridled imagination of children, IME.

Imaro

Legend
I don't think it's all about the rules themselves, I think the OSR has an image issue. Whether it's deserved or not the OSR (products and people involved in it) have a reputation for being unwelcoming to people of color. people of alternate lifestyles and so on... and lacking the willingness to change in order to become more welcoming.

Retreater

Legend
Yes. I think it needs a new name, though. Calling it "Old School" has appeal to grognards and traditionalists. I've brought a few new-ish gamers into OSR, but they're conservative guys in their 30s-40s. I don't think a name like that will have appeal to kids/teens (as someone who has run game programs for those ages as a part of my job).
I also think that we should be aware of the style in the classic products and realize that for most younger players, old art and layout will seem very dated. The same with charts, negative AC, etc. Think about how video games have been designed with skill points, increasing armor ratings, etc., and you'll see that this is a concept that is easier for young people to grasp.
It's like any form of art. There are young people who will be fans of classic movies or old music, and there are now enough people being introduced to the hobby that there is something for everyone.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Has our community changed that much that not only is there no room in modern gaming for the OSR to bring in new gamers, but it’s actively harmful to bringing them in as that comment implies?
I think the most important factor in bringing in new gamers is an enthusiastic player/GM who will teach them the ropes. Get them excited, and they'll happily learn any system.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes. I think it needs a new name, though. Calling it "Old School" has appeal to grognards and traditionalists. I've brought a few new-ish gamers into OSR, but they're conservative guys in their 30s-40s. I don't think a name like that will have appeal to kids/teens (as someone who has run game programs for those ages as a part of my job).
I also think that we should be aware of the style in the classic products and realize that for most younger players, old art and layout will seem very dated. The same with charts, negative AC, etc. Think about how video games have been designed with skill points, increasing armor ratings, etc., and you'll see that this is a concept that is easier for young people to grasp.
It's like any form of art. There are young people who will be fans of classic movies or old music, and there are now enough people being introduced to the hobby that there is something for everyone.
A lot of 20-somethings want to be able to say to other 20-somethings that they played an old school game at least once. Just to experience how it used to be. And a lot of the reason is a lot of the "experts" they watch in YouTube videos on D&D mention they grew up on those old school games. They want to see that old art and layout. They want to see the obscure negative AC chart because they've seen dozens of memes about THACO and want to experience it for themselves.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I think the premise of this thread, and many of the responses, absolutely misunderstands what OSR is. It is not a return to older editions of D&D, although that's a small part of it. It is, instead, a massively creative movement that is taking games in new directions altogether, based on a few core assumptions about play. Just playing Red Box is not OSR, that's just playing Red Box. OSR has many very interesting and rather different from old editions (and new editions) of D&D. It's not locked into recreating, it's instead centered on some of the play agendas that were part of some older editions.

Five Torches Deep, for example, is an OSR game that uses 5e to create a "old school" feel. It's not just older editions.

As such, of course OSR has plenty of great capability to bring in new players. Hell, if you've played Gloomhaven, you've played and OSR onramp. If you've played the computer game Darkest Dungeon, you've actually played an OSR game -- Torchbearer. And that game is based off of Mouse Guard, which is semi-OSR, and that game is based off of Burning Wheel, which is very Indie and not OSR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases