D&D 5E Is there too much gold/reward?

Al2O3

Explorer
There are; they're just not spelled out as directly as some might prefer. The random treasure tables effectively serve to give a default guideline.
There's also the tone set by published adventures, and I guess the Starter Set is particularly relevant since it aims to educate new players.

CapnZapp

Legend
The problem isn't that you gain thousands of gold pieces.

The problem is that there's no magical bonuses to buy for all that gold.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I do have to give it to this edition, they did show the tremendous costs associated with living the big life, and of owning property. I was a bit startled but it's simple salary cost addition.

Reflected_Shadows

First Post
I don't use books to tell me how wealthy my characters are. I think about who they are fighting, how much money the enemy has - how much of that money is sitting around in a chest, versus how much of it is on someone's person or how much is actually paid out to mercenaries, maintenance, etc. That way, the enemy has a rational amount of wealth and when the players "loot the horde", it all makes sense. In my games, wealth comes VERY slow, with the player getting access to NPC's, Services, Land, Entitlements, and other things, which when added up, probably are worth the money the book says they should be given at that level. I like to have fewer payoffs from looting (but bigger), and more money earned from non-looting player actions, gifts, favors (the most important currency of all in my world!).

The game does give out a lot of gold. In my game, I'm starting to hand out gold in packages of 5,000 at a time, thanks to using hoards from the 11+ range. Crazy cash. Saying that, the low level tables give out really very little.

In practice, I think that an individual DM might gain a lot from ignoring the cash + gems sections of the treasure tables, and instead putting in an amount that 'feels right' for the campaign. Certainly, if you wanted some of the WFRP feel of player character poverty - they own their armour, enough money for a couple nights out, and a single set of pewter cutlery - then the treasure tables are not going to help you much.

hejtmane

Explorer
Hey I already had my adventures loose all their gold and magic items and they eventually found more; it kind of tied into my story line it was not my initial plan but when a bar fight went way way south while it changed the dynamics of the world and they where in a corrupt town. That has since become even more corrupt. Funny part is the players are still mad about that town and know they are not high enough level yet to extract revenge but when they get to the right level they plan to go back and burn it to the ground. Fortunes can be one and lost before you ever get home and you are on the road.

Remove ads