• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this a suicide mission?

Raloc

First Post
In my campaign, I used to have one of the regular players of my group playing a wizard from Thay (on his way to taking the Red Wiz. PrC), but due to circumstances (mandatory military service), he had to quit the session. Well, he ended up coming back due to medical stuff, so he's rejoining the session. His character in game disappeared during a climactic battle on a small island in the Sea of Fallen Stars. What actually happened is, he stole one of the party's rented ships and sailed to Bezantur, on his way to Eltabbar. He's headed there to warn the RWs of some various campaign related stuff (infiltration of foreign Thayan Enclaves) and take his first level of RW. Now, I've decided that his rather crazy master is going to pit the PC in question, and his other apprentices, against eachother in a dungeon course designed to test arcane talent.

The course is laid into the side of a hill with six entrances, each obscured from the rest (and it looks mundane to onlookers, so that the player/PC won't know that there are other apprentices in the course the same time as him). These lead down a straight five foot wide hall for roughly thirty to fifty feet. At the end of each is a circular chamber with eight stone doors (one per school of magic). Each has a medium sized clear glass orb in its center, and they flash with arcane energy in order from left to right once per minute. Each flash I'll allow the player to roll a check to see if he can tell what school the magic is from. In my game, all teleportation spells are houseruled back to being transmutation(we use 3.5, but I have a lot of house rules). The transmutation door will teleport the character to the next part of the course, while each of the others will discharge some minor spell or effect appropriate to the school.

The next part has a Reduce Person chute/slide trap(from Traps and Treasures, great book). It works by opening a trap door in the floor and sending the character down a chute which will cast reduce on them, to allow them to pass through the smaller chute into a small cramped room with no exits. I don't think this will be a problem for the PC in question, give he's a wizard and can Reduce and Fly himself out of the chamber if need be.

After that there will be a room with a riddle inlaid on the floor. If he answers the riddle correctly, it will lead to a room of tomes (most of which are trapped, one of which will open the door to the next area). If he answers incorrectly, it will send him down a side passage into the adjacent hallway in which one of the other apprentices (level 5 conjurer) is making his way through the course, and then into the next room.

The room after that is a large cavern area, covered in ice, with a bridge of ice connecting one side to the exit. In the middle of the bridge will be a Silence (as the spell) trap which will be triggered by any speech or noise (including any spellcasting). (I figure this part will play out differently depending on if he meets the wizard beforehand or not. If not, it will be a slugfest + balancing act for both of them XD)

Oh, and the very last bit after the ice bridge is merely an untrapped room with some treasure (including the thing that his master will send him after).

The PC in question is level 7, an enchanter. All of the PCs have high powered characters (rather good stats, for one). I don't forsee him having much problem with most of these challenges, but
my co-DM thinks it's a suicide mission. What does everyone think? Should I tone it down?

Raloc

First Post
The first "trap"? For the non-transmutation spells I'm probably just going to do whatever 0th or 1st level spell seems appropriate for the school. If the school doesn't have anything appropriate for that level, I might use a non-damage spell from a higher level (like dispel magic for abjuration). There likely won't be any opponents save for the other wizard, so none of the spells will put him at that sort of disadvantage (being helpless or the like), but merely inconvenience him. As well, I'm allowing him to rest in the course.

Edit: Also, wondering if anyone thinks the above course/challenges sounds fun for a wizard type character?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads