• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this character too pwerful?

Seeten

First Post
Also, once I saw that outrageous set of stats I had personally rolled, I offered to just abort to a 35 point buy. (The chargen is 4d6 drop lowest reroll ones, and some people have some silly stats, so 35 seemed not totally out of power level, though the lowest rolled total is way into the 40's I imagine)

focallength

First Post
Celebrim said:
Yes, that would do it. But then Wish can do alot of things that normally aren't in the rules. It's a rare DM that grants wishes to low level characters.
No, no wish was used. It was just one of those things that was done...who can explain it? Certainly not I, when a Balnor (good lich) wants to cast a spell, Im certainly not going to step up and say "Umm...excuse me Mr. Lich, but according to the description of the spell you arent allowed to do that...sorry..." then he says "well what about power word kill?, Ill cast that and you tell me if it works like its supposed to, ok?" The whole adventure was way above our level anyway, we were average 5th fighting encounters designed for a 10th level party, and the DM warned us said he wasnt going to pull punches and he had no intention of us going down this path. But the paladin in me just cant pass up helping people in trouble, even when were way over our heads. I guess thats what makes a paladin a paladin and everyone else just adventurers. I guess the DM felt that the risk justified the rewards.

Celebrim

Legend
LordSkull said:
Could have been d6. It has been many many years since the incedent and my memory is not what it once was.

That's one of the reasons I don't give much credence to these stories of phenominal dice rolls. If you are remembering something related to you by a friend a long time ago, then no lying really needs to be involved. The story can just grow in the telling. Human memory is not perfect.

In any event, needing to throw six 6's in a row in order to win a Btech tournament is somewhat believable, though my suspicion from what I know of the rules is that that wasn't the only way to win and on several throws a lesser total would be acceptable. In fact, usually just throwing 4 six's in a row is enough to do it late in a battle because it usually will result in decapitation. But the odds of rolling six 6's in a row is only 1:46656, and that's something that will happen often enough to be believable. And in fact, there is a non-random factor involved too, in that that many 6's in a row will generally result in immediate victory so while the odds that any six die all come up 6 is 1:46656, the odds that the end of the tournament was proceded by six 6's in a row or some other similar string of 'luck' is bit higher (though I couldn't say how much higher). It's just natural that good throws procede the end of the game because bad throws generally indicate 'no change'. But the odds of rolling six 20's in a row is 1 in 64000000, and that's probably happened as a purely random event only a couple of times in the whole history of gaming and likely at some little heralded time. And the odds of throwing 6 18's on a 3d6 in a row are like 1 in 10100000000000, and if that has ever happened in the history of gaming my money is on loaded dice.

Chaos orb wasn't that from the unhinged set or unglued or something.

You are thinking 'Chaos Confetti' which was a card in Unglued that was based on the old urban legend I just related. Chaos Orb was in the original Alpha set.

Remove ads