• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is this gaming product too offensive or merely funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
GRIMJIM said:
If I, as the writer, might make an observation?

How many of you have actually purchased, or read, the entire book? Either in PDF or hardcopy form, either will do?
I'm curious, is it your opinion that the web enhancement dosen't represent the material in your book? Because I'm basing my purchasing desion on the material in that web enhancement, and I've decided not to buy it.

Choosing not to buy a product because the advertising indicates you wont like it is a wise thing to do. Heck, it sometime wise to not buy something even when the advertising sugests you would like. It's called consumerism. Writting a leter telling a company that you find a product offencive is also a wise move, maybe thay'll concentrate on making products that don't offend you. Are you really sugesting that customers, or potentonal customers, shouldn't provide a company with feed back unless it's positive?

Mind you, I like satire, but I don't like all satire. I like science fiction too, but I don't like all science fiction. If I don't like a science fiction book, it isn't because I don't get it, it's just because it's not to my taste.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Particle Man:
I thought your initial post was fair and inquisitive. You found the item in question a bit offensive and that is your prerogative. Others took things a bit farther. My point was not to slam you, but rather to say that I feel sad that so many people in today's world are just too touchy.

Crothian:
Congrats on them Jackets and their fine season :p

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I found the product in question to be neither particularly offensive or funny. It was cute.

-- N

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Quickbeam said:
Thanks T-Bill.

** Please forgive the temporary hijack **
I miss our hockey chatter, which should be in full Playoff swing right now...sigh.
On the plus side of things, I'm soooo ready to kick some heavy metal arse come August!! But despite owning the Monster Rampage books (at your suggestion), I've never actually played a full game. I hope that I can walk the walk of an evil monster overlord. ;)

** We now return you to your regularly shceduled thread topic **

You'll be amazed how quickly you pick it up in play.

eyebeams

Explorer
Wow, there's a debate?

It's a piece of crap. It doesn't challenge any particular stereotype; it merely represents them. Satire actually takes something to an extreme to attack it. That's Swift's Gulliver's Travels and "A Modest Proposal."

By the brain-bending logic being employed here, Swift was apparently defending Malthusian politics by lampooning it and wanted poorhouses and baby-eating for all.

Like I said. Piece of crap.

Crothian

First Post
eyebeams said:
Wow, there's a debate?

It's a piece of crap. It doesn't challenge any particular stereotype; it merely represents them. Satire actually takes something to an extreme to attack it. That's Swift's Gulliver's Travels and "A Modest Proposal."

By the brain-bending logic being employed here, Swift was apparently defending Malthusian politics by lampooning it and wanted poorhouses and baby-eating for all.

Like I said. Piece of crap.

I think if you are going to compaire any satire with Swifts, you will find very few that live up to that incredible insanely high standard. And expecting an RPG book, even on in jest, to be up there is even more ridiculus.

The Shaman

First Post
I find the idea that a twenty- or thirty-something writer thought he was bringing the funny with this fishwrap to be more offensive than the actual content. The content is simply juvenile.

Turanil

First Post
Particle_Man said:
I have been called overly politically correct on that thread. I was wondering what you guys thought.

Here is the relevant pdf web enhancement
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/female_gamers_web_enhancement.pdf
So, I have downloaded this web enhancement, read it, then deleted it. It's really poor taste, and incomprehensible humor not funny at all. But I guess it is aimed at overweight and socially challenged teen-agers who will never have any girlfriend, so can get some sort of revenge in reading such crap. Well, it says a lot, IMO, about what Mongoose think of their customers... :\

GRIMJIM

First Post
fanboy2000 said:
I'm curious, is it your opinion that the web enhancement dosen't represent the material in your book? Because I'm basing my purchasing desion on the material in that web enhancement, and I've decided not to buy it.

Choosing not to buy a product because the advertising indicates you wont like it is a wise thing to do. Heck, it sometime wise to not buy something even when the advertising sugests you would like. It's called consumerism. Writting a leter telling a company that you find a product offencive is also a wise move, maybe thay'll concentrate on making products that don't offend you. Are you really sugesting that customers, or potentonal customers, shouldn't provide a company with feed back unless it's positive?

Mind you, I like satire, but I don't like all satire. I like science fiction too, but I don't like all science fiction. If I don't like a science fiction book, it isn't because I don't get it, it's just because it's not to my taste.

Yes, I feel that taken independently of the rest of the material the web enhancment doesn't represent the material in the book. Its isolated and is material that was cut largely to placate already hyper-sensitive distributors when there were still harcopies of this book left to distribute. In that sense its not really an enhancement, its 'this was cut'. In that way it's also not advertising, its a bonus. You bought this? Have some extra value.

I think you shouldn't comment unless you've actually read a product. Occasionally, based on what you hear and see you can fire 'warning shots' while something is in development or about to be released (PIMP: The backhanding - for me at least - fails because it isn't funny, an took the wrong tack on the material, IMO).

Here's some reviews and comments that might give you a better idea...

http://www.gamewyrd.com/review/116
http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=3063

And hey, sales speak for themselves.

Mongoose's two top PDF slots are held Arcane Encyclopaedia Nymphology and Quintessential Temptress, two more humour books, of mine. Though those do actually contain useful material hidden under the s:):):):):):)ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads