Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Sezarious

First Post
[sblock="OOC"]

DM, is it dark enough to stealth? Do we need a light to see where we're going?

Survival: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13

Posting Coyote Code for the first time, we'll see if I did it right. (Adding double proficiency for favored terrain.)[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Looks good to me. Double proficiency is correct assumption as per one of my previous posts. The tunnels vary in width around her from 5 to 15 feet. It almost reminds you of seeing multiple ants nest holes close to each other. Same hive, multiple entrances. Every 30-50ft or so you can see a service shaft that runs directly up to the surface, lighting everything up. In the direction of the compound, you can see the opening to what looks to be the bottom of another large pit. Here and there, little spotlights made of moonlight litter the catacombs.

Stealth is certainly useable in these catacombs. There are general pathways you can take that are only dim light (So lightly obscured), but you can easily sneak most of the way in darkness. You would guess that since a very large amount of creatures have dark-vision, sand goblins would too, so as long as you stuck to the shadows, then at the very least even creatures with dark-vision have see you at disadvantage.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad


Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=Marching Order] With the way the tunnels are being described, we can’t be sure that enemies won’t come from other directions so I’m good with Macv12’s modification of TGG’s order. If it’s single file, collapse into TGG’s order. If we can spread out, hexagonally protect the half-elf.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Rolls] Daedarai will be trying to use stealth as he travels through the caves. Trying to use Coyote Code: Stealth Attempt: 1D20+7 = [6] + 7 = 13 [/SBLOCK]
 

Macv12

First Post
Shen's personality melts away as soon as she enters the darkness. She carries herself lower to the ground, keeping her feet level as she walks to displace as little sand as possible with each step; when the light catches her, her eyes are wide and emotionless, her head turning this way and that like a bird of prey, trying to take in every detail and echo. Prowling through the unknown with the same savage instinct as her prey for her only defense against it: this is clearly something she's done before.

[sblock="OOC"]I don't know if it will matter, since she can't very well stick to the darkest corners and act as a guide at the same time, but Shen is trying to be silent at least, and inconspicuous when not in direct moonlight.
Stealth roll: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21
[/sblock]
 

[sblock=Stealth] Here is Alejandro's Stealth roll.

Proficiency bonus + Stat mod: 1D20+2+2 = [3]+2+2 = 7


Sigh. He has Proficiency in Stealth, too. It seems as though being off home turf has made him lose his mojo...[/sblock]

image.jpg
 

Sezarious

First Post
Both Shen and Daedarai seem to fall away in the darkness, Shen re-appearing here and there to direct the party, though Daedarai does not have the chance to spot her, rather, he can only do his best to keep up with those in the party who were not hidden.

Alejandro licked his dry lips. There was something disconcerting about these catacombs. His heartbeat was a little raised as was his breathing. Archibald squeaked here and there out of concern for his companion; he could hear and feel the gnomes heartbeat you see.

Our companions attention began to be drawn to the opening of the pit, only Mina turned her head to see that only 5 feet away, against the wall on the parties right, was a small sized humanoid, shrivelled sockets for eyes, was pressed up against the wall. It's hands looked like they were fused onto the creatures arms, 2 bony looking plates existed where normally one would expect to see fingers.

Aside from its eyes and it's hands though, it definitely appeared to be some form of goblin [sblock=OOC]Please go to OOC thread for further discussion[/sblock]

Realising it has been spotted, the creature opens it's eyes further, the green glow appears like a faint beam of a weak bullseye lantern, making it present for everyone to see. Opening it's jaws, it reveals an unusual set of teeth for a goblinoid, a series of molars with only a few canine teeth at the front. It lets out two guttural barks in goblinoid, the sound echoing through the cave. Its eye sockets lack the ability to convey any emotion. Lips pursed, it simply stands in front of the party, watching unblinking.
 
Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
"Everyone be ready, I think this is one of those Sand Goblins we've been hearing about."
Isaac readies his weapons and indicates that his allies should do the same, then readies himself in a defensive posture.
 

Matthan

Explorer
The group had fallen into silence as they worked their way through the passages leaving the elf alone to his thoughts. “Everything will be fine,” was all he kept thinking to himself as if the repetition could somehow mold reality to match. He was tense, clutching his short bow until his knuckles were white while his other hand twitched as he fought to keep it still and not reach for the arrows in the quiver. He maneuvered himself towards the shadows the best that he could as the group progressed. If nothing else, they might serve to hide his nerves from his partners.

He didn’t see what halted the group at first. To the right, two green orbs slowly revealed themselves around three feet off the ground. Knowing where to look, his eyes begin to pick out the details of the creature. Its face is dominated by a disturbingly wide maw that it peels back to reveal an unsettling number of teeth. A few short sounds escaped the beast and echoed throughout the cave provoking a wave of fear to roil in his gut and stop his heart for a moment before beating so loudly that he thought it would deafen him.

Out of the corner of his eye, Daedarai sees Isaac ready himself and say something that he cannot make out through the pounding in his ears. His panic rises into a rush of adrenaline as he finally makes out the bony protrusions coming from its hands. Without thought, his free hand flicks to his quiver draws an arrow and lets it fly at the creature.

[SBLOCK=OOC] I’ve been sitting here arguing with myself about this because I know it probably isn’t the wisest tactical move, but I feel like it’s what my character would do. He’s tense and stressed over the mission going well. The catacombs would just intensify his nerves. Seeing that creature and hearing its barks, he would shoot it. I know the tactical thing would be to try and communicate at this point since it hasn’t been aggressive, but I don’t think Daedarai has the experience to think tactically this far out of his comfort zone at this point. In his defense, look at that picture that Sezarious posted in the general thread. That thing wants to eat us.[/SBLOCK]
 

Alejandro, bringing up the rear, is brought up short as something brings the party to a halt.

He can't see past the taller folk clearly, but then the green illumination reveals what appears to be a sand goblin. From his position at the back he is too far away to reach it, so he instinctively whips round at the sound of the barks - some sort of alarm - and watches out behind.

However, his time as an urchin in an often dangerous city has equipped him with the tendency to assess potential threats, and the goblin seems to be non-threatening, with strangely non-goblinoid teeth and spades for hands.

[sblock=Nature check] Nature check: 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16
[/sblock]

After getting a start he calms down, battle mode switched on, but with the feeling that maybe this goblin isn't much of an immediate threat.

Then he hears Dead-Eye's bow thrum...

"No!", he shouts.
 

Sezarious

First Post
The little goblinoid is struck in the side of the neck. It lets out a gurgling giggle, then another 2 laboured barks at a different pitch, before collapsing on the ground, a pool of blood forming around its body.

Why did it laugh? Why did it just stand there and laugh. Silence follows suit. Nothing...
 

Sezarious

First Post
Nature check: 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16

Upon closer examination of the now deceased goblin, there is no doubt in Al's mind that the creature's "shovel hands" could do some serious damage. They are pointed and hooked on the tips with some sort of bone or other calcification. The sinewy arms and tight muscle-bound body of the creature is definitely designed for burrowing. There is something else however. It's behaviour, whilst passive was certainly a little.... Well, Al couldn't quite put his finger on it [sblock=OOC]Insight at disadvantage from anyone for more.[/sblock]
 


Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai walks warily to the corpse for a closer look. His face betrays his conflicted thoughts and guilt as he steadily avoids looking or speaking to anyone. He silently bends down to retrieve his arrow and inspect the body.

[SBLOCK=Rolls] Insight w/ Disadvantage: 1D20-1 = [9]-1 = 8
1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2

Investigation : 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8

I wanted to roll Investigation to see if I could find anything that way, but luck is not on my side here.
Have a meeting in a minute, but I wanted to get this up.[/SBLOCK]
 

Macv12

First Post
[sblock="Roll"]Insight to guess what the goblin was communicating: 2D20.LOW(1)+2 = [19, 14]+2 = 16
[/sblock]
Shen whips around at the sound of Alejandro's shout, and the arrow hissing through the air, and the goblin's chatter. Just the echoes through the corridors afterward are deafening. The elf is frozen, eyes wide, teeth gritted. There are probably guild folks in Is'Merith saying 'did you hear that? New guys must've blown their cover.'

[sblock="OOC"]May add more depending on check result. Also want to give Mina and Isaac time to respond before mobilizing.

For the record, excellent choice, Matthan. I have a good feeling about the kind of bad feeling I have about this. \/m[/sblock]
 

Sezarious

First Post
With the others uncertain as to why the little thing just stood there, Shen cocked her head to the left in thought, then the right... It's like it was waiting to see what we would do.

A new thought enters her mind. Two distinct barks as soon as it was noticed, then two when it was killed, was there a pattern of some kind. It's a shame she doesn't speak goblin... There was one more thing... This creature, emotionless, near as Shen could tell, seemed faaar more intelligent than it let on. It would have known it was to be killed....
 
Last edited:

Trogdor1992

First Post
Isaac hears the creature barking, when he notices someone taking action. From the shadows he hears the faint sound of a bowstring. Before he has time to react he turns back to see the goblin laying dead on the ground. "Well if you weren't ready before you ought to make sure you're ready now. That creature was likely some sort of sentry, meaning there's likely to be more on the way." Isaac turns back ahead and prepares himself for the worst, inching his way towards the dead beast so he might examine it.
 

The gnome bends down to retrieve Daederai's arrow for him - he seems very taut, and Alejandro gets the feeling he wouldn't think of the practicalities down here.

He regards the sand goblin. "I haven't seen a creature like this before", says Alejandro. "And when I'm not sure of something, I like to make sure it's dead."

And with that he lifts his silvered quarter staff and bashes in its head, once, twice.
 

pathfinderq1

First Post
Mina had given a squeak of surprise at the sight of the goblin- even though she was walking with her bow in hand and an arrow ready on the string, she was not as quick as Daedarai, and the creature was down before she even thought to draw.

As the others examined it, she took another step away and kept watch for more such creatures. Surely it was not alone, and its call had not been unheard. Besides, watching the tunnel meant that she didn't have to watch the aftermath of the sudden violence...

[sblock] Insight at disadvantage rolls 6 and 23, so likely no further information; rolls http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=103141

[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Macv12

First Post
"Fellas," Shen murmurs, just loud enough to be heard by her companions; "this ain't the best position? They know we killed their guy and where we're at. Better relocate. Fast."

Not waiting a moment, Shen slips back into the darkness, fastening her weapons to her back and drawing her bow.

[sblock="OOC"]Going to run ahead of the party (35 speed), hopefully inconspicuous enough that nothing comes after me, and use arrows to cover the party's retreat if anything attacks them. If I can attack these things from stealth, my class feature will really help. I'll signal the party where to come if there's a danger of them getting lost. If things get too sticky, for them or for me, planning to use trident and lasso to control the situation and then get into melee.[/sblock]
 

Sezarious

First Post
Whether or not other sand goblins were around to try and attack Shen, they would not have had the chance to see her in the first place... [sblock=OOC] Sand goblin perception http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=103205... I assume that Shen intended to make her own perception roles, so, on her behalf, http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=103206.[/sblock]
On the other hand, as she moves swiftly through the tunnels, Shen notices the second goblin, clear as day. She noticed as she looked above a shaft that revealed a trickle of moonlight, that there was a strange blockage... A big rock, about the size of a human skull, balancing on top of a wooden beam. Next to it, with moonlight streaming on its face, sitting on a ledge, was another goblin, it had its ear facing the bottom of the mines, twitching as it listened. Shen did as she had planned, firing at the unsuspecting creature from the shadows, taking her time to line up the shot so the arrow would pierce its voice-box.

The Sand goblin fell in silence, without a grunt, knocking the stone and the plank, the two objects and the goblin crashing as they hit the ground. Shen listens and turns her head. Off in the pitch dark down a side tunnel, she hears another 3 loud grunts and momentarily sees another pair of eyes, before the creature turns and scampers down another passage.

[sblock=OOC] Another Insight for Shen, this time NOT at disadvantage. Her initial success at insight before means she is beginning to understand these creatures... http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=103207... Yes... It's like they're... Organised. They're Organised! As a group. They're using their short grunt at different pitches to convey information, almost like the thieves guild members use their funny hand shakes and arm waving![/sblock] "They're... Learning about us", Shen whispers.

With that, the barking begins. Here and there at first. Then from every direction. But they do not seem to be attacking yet. Every now and then, a pair of eyes can be seen bolting around one corner and through to another. The barking is nearly deafening and knowledge of the goblinoids numbers can not really be ascertained.... What do you all do?
 
Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top