D&D (2024) It goes to show you can't please everbody!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd also question whether D&D does everything either, much as some people like to claim it does. It runs certain particular types of fantasy okay, but even fantasy outside that scope isn't well supported.
Yeah, that was my point. It does D&D-style fantasy well.

It does not do, say, a Wizard of Earthsea or Harry Potter or Terry Pratchett or the Black Company or A Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings nearly as well. I think in those cases, other systems are a better answer than trying to stretch the system into shapes that it won't ever hold terribly well.

The two D&D versions of The One Ring are a better choice for Middle-Earth play than straight D&D, for instance. (And some would argue that both versions of The One Ring are even better.)

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, that was my point. It does D&D-style fantasy well.

It does not do, say, a Wizard of Earthsea or Harry Potter or Terry Pratchett or the Black Company or A Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings nearly as well. I think in those cases, other systems are a better answer than trying to stretch the system into shapes that it won't ever hold terribly well.

The two D&D versions of The One Ring are a better choice for Middle-Earth play than straight D&D, for instance. (And some would argue that both versions of The One Ring are even better.)

My only point was that it not only does those worse than a specialized tool for the job, it does so worse than some generalized tools. You can very much argue that's the price of it doing what it does do extensively, and at least competently, but its not impossible to do a broader thing competently, its just more work.

Remove ads