• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It is coming and we are all doomed!!!

Dragonbait

Explorer
Warbringer said:
Biggest incentive to not publish 4e....

... don't screw with mini sales; the most successful D+D product ever sold

So we make it a miniature game, where feats, NPCs, spells, and monsters and abilities are purchased in packs of cards, which are randomly assorted of course. Perhaps get rid of those silly dice, and reduce the stats to a random card too. It will be the best selling game EVER

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
philreed said:
And an adventure path that starts as 3.5 and ends as 4e would . . .

Railroad the players

(and we all know how they love that :uhoh: )

I personally think the "Having a New adventure path for 4E" plan would be a smarter move.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Warbringer said:
Biggest incentive to not publish 4e....

... don't screw with mini sales; the most successful D+D product ever sold
I can't see how changing the ruleset would impact the minis. Even if you compleatly changed monster stats, A hobgoblin is still a hobgoblin.

delericho

Legend
alan said:
And remember that the first AP started with 3.0, then went to 3.5 shortly thereafter...

Actually, the first Shackled City adventures used a pre-release version of the 3.5e rules. In fact, there were many news items on here (or was it Eric Noah's site back then?) about new things we learned about 3.5 based on those adventures.

Sadly, after 3.5 was published, it became apparent that some of the rules used weren't quite right, and so needed cleaned up for the hardcover.

delericho

Legend
philreed said:
And an adventure path that starts as 3.5 and ends as 4e would . . .

Suck? :)

Seriously, knowing how popular the Adventure Paths are in Dungeon, and knowing that when 4e hit people will be crying out for good adventures to run with it, both Paizo and Wizards of the Coast must know the value of having Dungeon start a new Adventure Path in the month that 4e hits. Doing so gets people playing with the new rules immediately, builds community, sells lots of shiny new core books and subscriptions to the magazine, and generally is a win-win situation for everyone.

Since Paizo work quite closely with Wizards for approvals, it makes sense that the Wizards guy, having been presented with the idea for APx, and knowing that 4e is going to hit in the next 18 months, would say to Paizo 'wait'. They don't even need to qualify that with a reason, and when the make the announcement the reason becomes clear.

Basically, if I were in charge of matters at those companies, I would try very hard to make sure Paizo didn't have an AP running for 6 months or so before 4e hit, and then have them start one immediately afterwards. Of course, I'm assuming that the communication lines within and between the two companies are sufficiently clear to allow that sort of coordination.

Ebony Dragon

First Post
There wont be a 4e coming out in 2006. Too many 3.5 books are slated for release later this year still.
Late in 2007? Its possible, but I hope not.
2008? I think its very likely we will see 4e sometime in 2008.

Aloïsius

First Post
I wonder if the profusion of alternative/variant rule system (PHBII, Tome of Magic, complete mage...) could be related to the old skill and power release, who could have been labeled 2.5. It looks like wizards test a lot of new ideas and concept, and will let them "float" around so that they can build the next improved edition with it.

Plus, it will ease the transition, because people will be accustomed to the new rules, somewhat.

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
Yep, and we all know WotC is coming out with more material because they hate us and want to take all of our money.
Is that why they came out with the Playerz Handbook?

Khuxan

First Post
delericho said:
Actually, the first Shackled City adventures used a pre-release version of the 3.5e rules. In fact, there were many news items on here (or was it Eric Noah's site back then?) about new things we learned about 3.5 based on those adventures.

Sadly, after 3.5 was published, it became apparent that some of the rules used weren't quite right, and so needed cleaned up for the hardcover.

Are any of those threads/news items still around? They'd be interesting to read.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads