• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It is official: Margaret Weis gets Firefly license!

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Firefly RPG will draw from the classic game & bring things up to date. No details yet, but it's been eight years, so there's a lot we can do to make this a must-have for old and new fans.

Cheers,
Cam

delericho

Legend
However, Cortex is good enough, in my opinion and, from what I have seen of BDH and the Cortex System Book...

I've never played any of the other Cortex system games, and the only things we've used from BDH is the new 'stuff' - new Assets and Complications, the NPC lists (very useful), and so on, but not the rules updates. "Serenity" is one of our go-to games for one-shots, so we just stick with the rules as-is for the most part, simply for simplicity.

Firefly RPG will draw from the classic game & bring things up to date. No details yet, but it's been eight years, so there's a lot we can do to make this a must-have for old and new fans.

I'm looking forward to it.

Gundark

Explorer
Could someone give a brief overview of the main differences between Cortex and Cortex +?
Cortex was clunky. Cortex plus is made out of awesomsauce and IMO does better what FATE attempts to do.

Old Cortex on the surface looks like Savage Worlds a bit rolling d2-d12s (yes d2s!), however was swingy with results and some feel (like me) it was a lame duck of a system. To Margaret Weis productions credit they went back to the drawing board and came back with Cortex plus. Cortex+ rolls a dice pool of d4-d12s and you pick the highest two. It powers games like Smallville, Leverage, and the more recent Marvel rpg.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The original Cortex system in Serenity is one of the most broken sets of rules I've ever run. It was great for creating characters in - the characters our group created were full of theme and awesomeness - but the moment you took them into actually trying to do something mechanical, everything fell apart. I hate the system with a passion.

I've written more about it in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?284090-My-Serenity-campaign-is-over

The Cortex Plus system that we've been using in the Marvel Heroic RPG is one of the best systems I've used. (My one caveat is that resolving a character's actions can take quite a bit longer than you might expect, and thus combats can go 90-120 minutes with only two-three actions per player. Part of this is my DM, who isn't as fast as resolving things as I am, but the system can be SLOW).

Unfortunately, Marvel doesn't allow easy character generation, so it fails there.

Cheers!

Remove ads