• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item to hide identity?

sullivan

First Post
Darkness said:
Discern location is 8th level and has a very, very specific effect. It's blocked by another 8th-level spell (i.e., mind blank).

Also, it's in the nature of D&D that defense often needs to be somewhat less specific than offense. Otherwise, you'd need way too many defenses to get by.

It could be argued that True Seeing is a "defense". It at least shades apon the catagory of defensive spell. That being said I too find it a bit disconcerting that a 5th level spell, even at 250gp a pop, can over come all that it can, completely negating an entire school of spells. At leat the true seeing goggles cost 70K takes up a large chunk of equipment resources until the mid-teen levels or higher, unless it is a common property party item ( "My turn with the shared brain today!" :D )

I suppose an antimagic field interposing between the caster and the polymorphed target might block the true seeing. Certainly containing the caster within the Antimagic field would. But that would present some logistic difficulties.

P.S. Your character could fall back on the mundane for disguse, assuming you aren't trying to radically alter your appearance.

Seeten

First Post
There is an awesome spell in Hollowfaust, I believe, that stops all detects/alignments/etc for 24 hours. I believe its second level. My Necromancer uses it to maintain a degree of propriety.

Joker

First Post
Seeten said:
There is an awesome spell in Hollowfaust, I believe, that stops all detects/alignments/etc for 24 hours. I believe its second level. My Necromancer uses it to maintain a degree of propriety.

It's called Undetectable Alignment. It's in the PHB ;).

sullivan

First Post
Joker said:
It's called Undetectable Alignment. It's in the PHB ;).

....and nondetection is it's big brother that guards against other detects, scrys, and such. I assumed he was talking about something with even a bit more oompth that dealt with True Seeing, which Nondetection appears not to.

EDIT: Nondetection also only works for 1hr/level, minimum 5 hours. Not all day. Hmm, now that I relook at his post that wouldn't make much sense for a 2nd level spell.

Last edited:

Ferox4

First Post
Not to hijack this thread, but whatever happened to Nystul's Undetectable Aura? I realize it wouldn't apply in this situation, I just didn't see it in the SRD.

sullivan

First Post
Ferox4 said:
Not to hijack this thread, but whatever happened to Nystul's Undetectable Aura? I realize it wouldn't apply in this situation, I just didn't see it in the SRD.

They combined it into one spell with Nystul's Magical Aura, dropped the "Nystul's" of course, and then shortened the name to Magic Aura.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Darn, I was hoping there was something that would fit my need, though it appears that something which blocked True Seeing would be very expensive. Even Superior Invisibility the 9th level spell in Complete Arcane? can be seen with a True Seeing.

Originally posted by sullivan
P.S. Your character could fall back on the mundane for disguse, assuming you aren't trying to radically alter your appearance.

Yeah, I've put ranks into Disguise. Polymorphing, I believe, gives a bonus to disguise checks. True seeing would negate this additional bonus, correct?

Note: I am getting a Ring of Mind Shielding to protect my character's thoughts. What I was looking for was a way to ensure that my character's identity was hidden [She's a Succubus and I don't want people to know that because of the bad rep they have, being Demon and Succubae and all].

MerakSpielman

First Post
True Seeing is the one spell that is designed to overcome all such sneaky, interesting ideas. With the possible exception of Mind Blank (the effectiveness of which has been debated ad infinitum with little consensus), or spells like Wish, True Seeing is simply unbeatable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads