"It's a joke name, sir."

The Shaman

First Post
My worst character name was a halfling thief called Lotto Rumblebottom. Mercifully he was killed by an orc or something early in the adventure.

Another character was a gnome illusionist/thief named Snorri Agatefinder. The last name elicited some snickers.

For some games I actually encourage quirky, half-serious names. For my Boot Hill game way back when, the campaign featured such characters as Jasper and Ruby Garnet, Sandy and Clay Lomes, Iron Hat (an Indian who wore an old Spanish morion), Peyote Pete, and Ignatius William Lynch, Justice of the Peace ("Judge I. Will Lynch"). The campaign was inspired by Pete Dexter's Deadwood and Larry McMurtry's Anything for Billy, so the whole thing was pretty tongue-in-cheek.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Thri-kreen named Bob..... the poor guy couldn't even pronounce his own name.
I ran a Dark Sun campaign and one player named his Thri-kreen "Chatkcha Cha'mma'ari". . .

Say it fast, a.k.a. "Jack the Samurai".

I didn't catch it at first when he said it. Some of the other players caught it right away and grinned and groaned. They finally let me in on the gag, but I let him keep the name. It was just too dang creative.

CPT PLAYDOH

First Post
Cheezy Super Hero Name

I am not a big super hero game afficianado, but I was convinced to roll up a character for Marvel SH. I ended up as a robot with great armor, good shadow force mainpulation, and poor body chemistry manipulation (with a few other powers). That character became "Gutterball, the Cosmic Bowler". The rest of my party was filled with tough guy Wolverine and Executioner clones. I really made an impact when I met the rest of the party, 5'8" tall, receding hairline, greasy hair slicked over to the side, white bowling shirt with green and white checkered sleeves, lime green polyester pants and white patent leather shoes. Gutterball had a pot belly and generally all the class of Carl on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I relished playing Guttrerball and yellling out stuff like- another strike for justice- as I whipped out a ball of shadow force against the enemy. Or on round three- take that turkey! Ahhh the puns were delicious :)

Remove ads