"It's a joke name, sir."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But these parents are completely pathological. Either they're a bunch of hate-mongers who will raise this kid to be a monster, or they're really stupid hicks, and the kid's likely to have his name changed when he turns 18 so he an actually get somewhere in life.

Oh, there's no question as to their attitudes. I just hope the kid's life isn't so difficult because of his name that he actually buys into his parents' poisonous politics.

OTOH, wouldn't it be great if Adolf Hitler Campbell, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell formed the greatest white rap trio since the Beastie Boys?

*sigh*

I can dream, right?

Dausuul

Legend
"Like Biggus Dic..."

Every GM winds up dealing with this sooner or later. Most of the group has decided, formally or otherwise, to tackle the campaign (this time around, anyway) in a "serious" roleplaying manner but one player isn't on board. Oh, he creates a formidable enough character to pull his own weight but when it finally gets down to naming him he goes with "Phil McKraken" or "Clamidia Underall" or "Lance Pokenprod" or...

Anyway, how do you deal with a situation like this? :confused:

I chuckle (after all, the player's goal was to get a laugh; if I provide one, s/he may be more amenable to reason), then say, "Yeah, right. Try again."

Repeat until a sensible name is put forward.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I love names and usually try and make really interesting ones. But as they have no impact on roleplaying I let any name fly.

I mean, there is the bounds of good taste. But it really is up to what the group wants, isn't it? A 13-year old is going to make up names a 43-year old won't. .........generally speaking.

I still recall a PC named Fiddle. By his behavior you'd think his last name was Inmapants.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I chuckle (after all, the player's goal was to get a laugh; if I provide one, s/he may be more amenable to reason), then say, "Yeah, right. Try again."

Repeat until a sensible name is put forward.

Like Michael Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzmichael?:D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Funny you should mention that...

I've been watching a series called "Most Evil." Its about serial killers and other violent criminals.

They also get into the studies researching the science of violence in human beings.

One of the scientists: a guy researching aggression, named Dr. Gurr.

How perfect is THAT?

Orius

Legend
OTOH, wouldn't it be great if Adolf Hitler Campbell, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell formed the greatest white rap trio since the Beastie Boys?

I think that's even scarier than seeing him turn into some kind of white-supremacist messiah. :p

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I enjoy a good joke name from time to time. In my current game, 4 of the 5 are new to the game. Following the death of his character against Irontooth, one of them rolled up a halfling rogue. He called him 'Coitus Smallback'.

My brother made a fighter named Eugnot once... (tongue backwards)

The same brother also fielded a gnome cleric named Berthatrice Fnipper (just a funny-sounding name), and later, he played his character's own mother, Mardnabin Fnipper.

A friend of mine played a half-orc named Sawtooth. He would proposition whores (and other women) with 'Sawtooth has gold'.

Remove ads