"It's a joke name, sir."

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm generally one for "serious" names, more or less, when it comes to D&D, but my last 3.5e character was a bongo-playing halfing druid-bard named Peta (pronounced PEY-ta) Earthlover. He started out as a way for me to tease my DM over lunch, since I described my character using any tree-hugging, hippie cliche that I could think of. By the end of lunch, I had basically constructed an entire personality and backstory, so I decided to use almost all of it, much to my DM's chagrin.

Mercule

Adventurer
I suppose it's worth mentioning, since I've said I prefer serious names, that if a character gives himself a goofy name, I'm fine with that. But, they are going to get an appropriate reaction when they introduce themselves to NPCs.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I suppose it's worth mentioning, since I've said I prefer serious names, that if a character gives himself a goofy name, I'm fine with that. But, they are going to get an appropriate reaction when they introduce themselves to NPCs.

I'm just wondering...what is "an appropriate reaction" to a joke name in a world when people might be walking around with names like Brundir Bloodyaxe and Starsinger Nightbow?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I thought Chudd Whatziznutz would be a good name for a dwarf. Perhaps I had a bit too much to drink that session. My current character is Mack the Knife, a fighter/rogue/invisible blade who's recently had a conversion experience and is now working his way through two levels of bard so that he become an evangelist of Pelor.

My first 3E character was Spakk Bonewrencher, a half-orc barbarian. A friend once played Ranger Dan the Fighting Man.

Good times.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My first 3E character was Spakk Bonewrencher, a half-orc barbarian. A friend once played Ranger Dan the Fighting Man.

I can see the former as an Orc's given name quite easily.

The latter sounds like a nickname that kids would give a local hero...especially if his last name was difficult.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm just wondering...what is "an appropriate reaction" to a joke name in a world when people might be walking around with names like Brundir Bloodyaxe and Starsinger Nightbow?
I'm thinking if Brundir decided to start calling himself "Lord Goat:):):):):)er". The appropriate reaction would be avoidance, marginalizing, and generally treating him like the villiage idiot.

Now, if Lord Goat:):):):):)er decides to cut a swath through the NPCs who are "treating him unreasonably", there are consequences for that, too.

Edit: Apparently that word is censored.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm thinking if Brundir decided to start calling himself "Lord Goat:):):):):)er". The appropriate reaction would be avoidance, marginalizing, and generally treating him like the villiage idiot.

OTOH, some people actually have bizzare and offensive names in real life.

Pslm Civ was one of my mom's students. His first and middle names are how Psalm 104 is written in Roman numerals and posted on boards behind the choirs in Christian Churches.

I actually have a friend whose uncle- a Native American- is named "Whitekiller." Yes, its an old family name.

Ditto Bobby Joe Raper who ran for mayor of Irving, Tx...and won. (He served 1981-87 and 1993-95.)

Moonunit? Dweezil?

Sure, some will look askance, but true ostracization would be rare...like the case you put forth or these poor kids:

Child named Adolf Hitler refused a birthday cake - Central PA Local News | Midstate Pennsylvania– PennLive.com
Adolf Hitler Campbell is cute, cuddly and, for now, blissfully unaware of the shock value conveyed by his first and middle names. <snip>
The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

But someone who's name is just silly?

Edit: Apparently that word is censored.

Do tell!:D

Remove ads