D&D General It's really weird loving D&D and not loving the current rules.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'd be happy to, but my ability to convince people to play anything new or different is apparently lacking. They want 5e (or maybe PF1) or nothing in my area.
I would kill for my area to games open or running at all.
I propose a Retro Game Night challenge.

To everyone commenting in this thread: I challenge you to schedule a one-shot with your regular gaming group sometime in the month of August. Just for one night, where you dust off your favorite older edition of D&D and play a single game. You can use pregen characters or roll up new ones, you can use a published adventure or write your own, you can play for a single session or several.

Then report back here. Post all of your observations in this thread: tell us about all of the things that you missed, tell us about the things that worked better in the older edition (or didn't work as well), tell us what your friends thought of it, and so on. I'm very curious which editions everyone would choose, and how well our favorites have 'aged.'

Who's with me?
you guys got regular groups?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'd be happy to, but my ability to convince people to play anything new or different is apparently lacking. They want 5e (or maybe PF1) or nothing in my area.
Same (except my group is PF1 and contemplating the idea of trying 5E). For the most part, it's an issue of investing the time/effort necessary to learning something new. For most of us, the handful of hours we can get together each week are so we can sit back and blow off some steam, and so learning a new system is the very last thing they want to do. As it is, they're only contemplating 5E because one member plays in another group where that's the system of choice, and she's working to get everyone else to give it a try.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I would kill for my area to games open or running at all.

you guys got regular groups?
I do. Two of them, acutally...one group meets every week or so, and the other meets about once a month. We're strictly online nowadays, via Roll20 and Foundry (respectively).

I think I'll be running module X4: "Masters of the Desert Nomads," using the blue-box Expert Rules.

Cruentus

Adventurer

To everyone commenting in this thread: I challenge you to schedule a one-shot with your regular gaming group sometime in the month of August. Just for one night, where you dust off your favorite older edition of D&D and play a single game. You can use pregen characters or roll up new ones, you can use a published adventure or write your own, you can play for a single session or several.

Then report back here. Post all of your observations in this thread: tell us about all of the things that you missed, tell us about the things that worked better in the older edition (or didn't work as well), tell us what your friends thought of it, and so on. I'm very curious which editions everyone would choose, and how well our favorites have 'aged.'

Who's with me?
We already moved on from 5e to Basic/Expert and Old School Essentials in both groups I play in (our old gaming group, tracking on 40 years, now playing all online - Discord/Owlbear or Discord/Fantasy Grounds). Opens up so much more for us - faster gameplay, less analysis paralysis, more emphasis on the world rather than our sheets (and I say this as both a player and a DM). Happy to expound if you want more specific info.

Edit: Oooh, Master of the Desert Nomads, I was just eyeing that one up in addition to The Lost City as a starter, but the party would have to have a reason to hit the desert... I think we're going to be doing Against the Giants using OSE in Greyhawk (moved to start in Sterich and the Southern Crystalmists and making its way up the spine to the north).

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I do. Two of them, acutally...one group meets every week or so, and the other meets about once a month. We're strictly online nowadays, via Roll20 and Foundry (respectively).

I think I'll be running module X4: "Masters of the Desert Nomads," using the blue-box Expert Rules.
man, I wish I had your luck, I have been without a group for five years.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Oooh, Master of the Desert Nomads, I was just eyeing that one up in addition to The Lost City as a starter, but the party would have to have a reason to hit the desert... I think we're going to be doing Against the Giants using OSE in Greyhawk (moved to start in Sterich and the Southern Crystalmists and making its way up the spine to the north).
Do it! Let's both run that module under the old rules, then report back. I'm curious how different our games will be.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Do it! Let's both run that module under the old rules, then report back. I'm curious how different our games will be.
Which one? Giants? Desert Nomads? Lost City?

My party in OSE is currently 1st level, we were going to be doing some intro via the side adventures outlined in the Silver Anniversary of Giants to get them up in level.

But still happy to give it a whirl :)

Who's with me?
I don't think I will make in it August, but Old-School Essentials should come out in German later this year and maybe I can get a session with a classic module scheduled (I'm thinking either Keep on the Borderlands or Rahasia). I'll try to remember reporting back when that happens.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sorry, I meant X4, Master of the Desert Nomads. I've got a huge hankering for that classic adventure.

But I could be persuaded to play any of them, tbh. So many awesome memories.

Remove ads