• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iuz, 2 or 3 forms?

PoorPC

First Post
Iuz the old. Does he have two or three forms? Demoniac and manikin, or Demoniac, gnarled old man and manikin. Sometimes the manikin seems mixed up with the old man. In ToEE his entry states "or as an old and wrinkled manikin scarcely 5 feet in height" but the image is that of the old man. I got his 3.5 stats from a thread in enworld.

Which is it definitely? I think its the old man and the demoniac, but the manikin exists too. So what can the manikin do? Is there more info on it?

Dragon #290. Art by Sam Wood; The 2 and 3 faces of Iuz

I would post the images and links, but i don't have rights yet.

thankou

Attachments

• 3facesDragon290.jpg
    3facesDragon290.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 615
  • TwoFacesDragon290.jpg
    TwoFacesDragon290.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 742

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I have always thought of Iuz as having just the two forms: Demonic and Elderly Man. The description at Greywiki appears to confirm there being just two forms.

Iuz was oringinally a strikingly handsome cambion. In the epic battle that resulted from Graz'zt striking out against Iggwilv in a bid for freedom, Iuz's handsome form was split into two "halves." He can either appear in the form of a gnarled, old human male, or as a bloated, red-skinned demonic figure. In his demonic form, he is seven feet tall, with reddish skin, pointed ears, and long, steely fingers. In his human form, he is barely five feet in height, and can attack with a disgusting spittle that withers all that it touches.

PoorPC

First Post
Yes, but "Iuz was originally a strikingly handsome cambion." And that manikin thing, is a like a goblin that went through the shredder.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I pulled my issue of Dragon 290 and took a look at the images. Here is the actual quote:

5) Iuz the Old (Rough). "I didn't want the main villain of the setting to look human at all, and I wanted the transition between his three forms to be very believable, so the same features are muted or exaggerated in each form."

What I am thinking he did was start with an image of Iuz pre-split and then transition into the two post-split images. It appears from the images and the quote that he was trying to make the images of the demonic and elderly forms obviously derivative of the pre-split form, hence why you see three faces of Iuz. The image of the bald man in the upper left is Iuz pre-split, the upper right is the gnarled old man, and the bottom is the demonic form. At least, that's my take on it.

PoorPC

First Post
Yes but there is nothing handsome about that bald Iuz sketch. But its probably just as you say and the artist took creative liberties on it.

Remove ads