Jack Chick Passes Away

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

The controversial figure Jack Chick, who published a range of comic books known popularly as "Chick tracts", which attacked a number of activities including Dungeons & Dragons, has passed away. His Dark Dungeons tract was released in 1984 and is often linked to the 1980s paranoia about Satanism and other elements suggested to be part of tabletop roleplaying games. A movie version of that particular tract was also made by JR Ralls.

chick.jpg

[video=youtube;8qc9JiIiOSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ[/video]

RedSiegfried

First Post
The more I look at this picture, the more I realize Jack Chick demonstrated perfectly the process of solving an out-of-game problem with an in-game solution.

Was Jack Chick actually a closet (bad) DM?

attachment.php

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Every time I see that D&D tract I think to myself "I just have to name my next character Black Leaf", and then proceed to forget to do so at every opportunity.

Lan-"still existing"-efan

was

Adventurer
...My first response would be to say "Rest in Peace", but I wonder if a person so full of hate, like Mr. Chick, could ever truly do that.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
RIP Jack Chick.

As far as Dark Dungeons goes, I expected it to be hilarious but IMO it was meh, okay. Worth a watch if you can see it for free; I was entertained.

Now I must go because I have to RPG EVEN HARDER!

I paid to see it, mainly to support Zombie Orpheus Entertainment (ZOE). It is not my favorite ZOE production by far (Journey Quest, The Gamers, and House Rulez are my favorite), but it I am very impressed with how they were able to parody the Jack Chick comic while being so true to it. They didn't make fun of it, they just turned it into a film and let the over-the-top ignorant fear-mongering lampoon itself.

What many people may not know is that ZOE received Jack Chick's permission to make this film. Perhaps he just took it at face value and didn't realize that it was not being made to be taken seriously.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The more I look at this picture, the more I realize Jack Chick demonstrated perfectly the process of solving an out-of-game problem with an in-game solution.

Was Jack Chick actually a closet (bad) DM?

attachment.php

Bad is relative. There is nothing like throwing a player out of your house and telling them they no longer exist after you killed their PC.

Chick Tracts were great and I always laughed my butt off reading them. Didn't know him personally so all I can say is RIP.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I paid to see it, mainly to support Zombie Orpheus Entertainment (ZOE). It is not my favorite ZOE production by far (Journey Quest, The Gamers, and House Rulez are my favorite), but it I am very impressed with how they were able to parody the Jack Chick comic while being so true to it. They didn't make fun of it, they just turned it into a film and let the over-the-top ignorant fear-mongering lampoon itself.

What many people may not know is that ZOE received Jack Chick's permission to make this film. Perhaps he just took it at face value and didn't realize that it was not being made to be taken seriously.

For me the previews made it seem so bad. As soon as they hit the "LETS RPG!" part of the trailer I think I said no thanks.

barasawa

Explorer
So he's the creep that made those horrible things full of lies the jerks were putting in all the books back in the 80s.
Well, if there really is a heaven and hell (I don't care which way you feel about that discussion), I wonder what he thinks of his sulfurous accommodations.

Remove ads

Remove ads