D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

Ondath

Hero
A new blog post posted by a trans person essentially argues that it's Xandering the dungeon that should be avoided. Honestly, I felt uneasy about the whole renaming, and seeing how Alexander has approached the issue really eroded my trust in him. Now that Jennell is gone and we can never really know if she really asked Justin to drop her name (which seems unlikely given how she was happy by the term and only wanted her name to be spelled correctly), I think I will stick to calling Jaquaysing the dungeon.

Or, since consent is unclear, instead of assuming it we could just use “non-linear dungeon,” which has the bonus advantage that more than a select few will know what we are talking about.

Edit: if you have to do deep research and textual interpretation to decide if you have consent…you probably don’t.

People might want to use the term to honour the person. And there is really no evidence that Jennell opposed the term, apart the misspelling. She mentioned the misspelling several times, if she had an issue with her name being associated with this particular style of dungeon design in general, she probably would have said so instead.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'll keep using Jaquaysing. Alexander's blog fame was built on her talent as a game designer. He did not invent the method, he only explained it.
Whether the Alexander's change to the terminology was self-serving or not, it's a pretty long reach to say his blog fame was just based his highlighting of Jennell Jaquays's contributions to dungeon design. His lauding of her dungeon design methods constitute a small minority of his topics.
If you want to cast shade on his replacement of jaquaysing with xandering, go ahead, but I'd suggest avoiding unnecessary exaggeration.

Ondath

Hero
Or, since consent is unclear, instead of assuming it we could just use “non-linear dungeon,” which has the bonus advantage that more than a select few will know what we are talking about.

Edit: if you have to do deep research and textual interpretation to decide if you have consent…you probably don’t.
Except Jennell was saying she was pretty honoured to have the term named after her in several social media posts, and only explicitly asked Justin to add the "s" as a correction, dating back a very, very long time. The blog post documents that Jennell was okay with having the term be named after her (and only wanted it to accurately represent her last name) until Justin said (with no evidence) that Jennell wanted the term removed. I wouldn't call this deep research and textual interpretation. If anything, assuming that we don't have her consent that requires elaborate justification.

The Soloist

Adventurer
Whether the Alexander's change to the terminology was self-serving or not, it's a pretty long reach to say his blog fame was just based his highlighting of Jennell Jaquays's contributions to dungeon design. His lauding of her dungeon design methods constitute a small minority of his topics.
If you want to cast shade on his replacement of jaquaysing with xandering, go ahead, but I'd suggest avoiding unnecessary exaggeration.
I did not write 'it was. just based', you are saying I wrote that. Typical forum straw man argument.

MGibster

Legend
Not that I talk about this subject a lot, but I prefer non-linear dungeon for prcisely the reason you state.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads