D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yes, but that name fails to recognise how Bards have gone from that role to being the DM-PC + Live Gamer's favourite class and thus gained significant power accordingly.

I don't want to go back to the 3e Bard days for sure. I love that the Bards can almost have it all now. But let's not pretend they're still target practice.
They were best full caster in terms of fun and balance before being made Wizard junior with 5.5 prep-casting proposals.

CapnZapp

Legend
Silvery barbs is a powerful spell, but not gamebreaking.
I find it's way too "much", and I would very much for it and its ilk to be removed from the game.

I mean, if a very specific build could get it, so you'd have a single character every third campaign use it, okay.

But the way "spend your reaction to force the enemy to miss or reroll" is way too intrusive in the game. Our Wizard had and used it. I found my Eldritch Trickster had nothing even close to its power with my otherwise feeble spellcasting. Our Rune Knight had his own variant.

It makes encounters too easy, since you can "nova" these powers. When you can force not just one but three re-rolls per round, that wins combats all by itself.

It makes encounters too slow, since you have introduced a decision point after every enemy success. It's basically a shitshow when the player is prone to analysis paralysis.

Out of combat it has WAY too much narrative power, when you use it to dramatically reduce the chance for a NPC to succeed at anything (a performance, diplomacy, intimidation, whatever).

So while "Silvery barbs is a powerful spell, but not gamebreaking." may be true technically, in practice, the game is better off without it.

Also, just because it might not be gamebreaking doesn't mean it's a well designed spell. It should definitely come with some form of power limit, so a 1st level slot isn't just as awesome at level 1 as on level 20. Basically, if you needed to spend a high level slot to influence a high level NPC, okay.

But you don't. You can be the crappiest spellcaster in the world and this spell works just as well on a kobold and a demigod.

TL;DR: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I hope the new edition removes "spend your reaction to make monsters reroll" altogether.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
a cantrip not even in the PHB
In the worst of worlds, WotC will include reactions to force rerolls in the core books.

In the best of worlds, I can play D&D'24 for a couple of years free of these annoyingly intrusive abilities, just like I had the privilege of playing D&D'14 for several campaigns with no Silvery Barbs or its ilk.

In the worst of worlds, WotC will include reactions to force rerolls in the core books.

In the best of worlds, I can play D&D'24 for a couple of years free of these annoyingly intrusive abilities, just like I had the privilege of playing D&D'14 for several campaigns with no Silvery Barbs or its ilk.
You mean 2024 bladeward?

Remove ads

Remove ads