• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As I mentioned in the other threads, I am a fan of the Weapon Mastery part because I incorporated something similar in my own game:

1682442014927.png

MarkB

Legend
I dint like the feat option to give everyone some weapon mastery.
From the video I don't get the impression that weapon mastery is a simple on/off thing - i.e. if you have it you can use any weapon's special properties, and if you don't you can't use any. It seems more like something that will unlock a few chosen masteries early on, and an expanding list as you progress.

The feat version, then, is very much the equivalent of Magic Initiate, granting you only that initial small selection, or maybe even less. That doesn't seem particularly overpowered or niche-encroaching for the cost of a feat.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Since WotC has committed to de-Orientalizing the Monk, this is very much not happening. In fact, I'd wager they holding back sp they can do a more targeted test of whatever changes they are making to remove Orientalism from the Class.

As far as Mastery, they said previously that the Monk's unique deal is getting Mastery for Simple Weapons, while fighters and Barbarians focus on Martial.
Which is a terrible idea, unless they include the “pick a weapon to specialize in that isn’t normally a monk weapon” feature from Tasha’s and make it so you also “master” that weapon.

Given that the goal of weapon masteries is to add tactical options, it seems odd to have masteries (eg. flex) that act as a simple damage increases. Perhaps this is intended as a way for players to "opt out" of added complexity, but limiting it to specific weapons makes it harder for it to serve that purpose.
It makes sword and board more viable and less of a trade off.
It also seems odd for the monk to be highlighted as a class that will make use of weapon mastery. This is a class that (outside particular subclasses) is specifically designed around unarmed combat.
It’s a class that has always used weapons, alongside unarmed attacks. In some editions you could entirely avoid unarmed attacks and specialized in using a staff or whatever.
I worry this is an example of the developers forcing similarities in class groups to the detriment of unique class identities.
Nah, monks being good with certain weapons has been there since the PHB.
Is not that Monks are getting it, is that Monks arent on the f***********&´?% UA, cause WotC development team hate Monks
You’re joking right?
The video also confirms the leaked weapon stables, which have Short Sword back as a martial weapon.

I had liked moving it to simple; I'm curious why it wasn't kept.
They said something about it not being needed because of other changes, so we shall see.
A literally weaker version of the Dueling Fighting Style is amazing?
It stacks with Dueling, and makes using a shield not a significant drop in damage.
I don't know that they promised that.
Then go back and watch the very first announcement video. It is stated explicitly.

ZetaShift

Eternity will pass before I stop playing Monks
Did they say that? I thought they said monks will be the masters of simple weapons specifically (which is a mistake, and doesn’t reflect martial arts traditions at all, bc most of them have at least some “martial” weaponry practitioners can specialize in).
Yah they said the current UA will have only fighters and barbarians use masteries. Later on, other classes will get masteries, the monks being one of those classes.

I wonder if the monk could be used as a "backdoor pilot episode" or to introduce "combat techniques". This would be like a softer version of martial maneuvers (3.5 Tome of Battle) or psionic powers. They would work almost at-will powers, but you would need a concentration check to reload.

ZetaShift

Eternity will pass before I stop playing Monks
That would be a MUCH better way of playtesting, IMO. If you released like three versions of a class at a time and asked, "Which is Best?"

That would be awesome. Too bad it's not at all how they do it.
Yeah and that's why I think it's on the fault of WotC. They gave little context on what could've been for the Druid, that naturally what people saw was just bad and barebones. I kinda think it reeks of laziness.

A literally weaker version of the Dueling Fighting Style is amazing?
Well, it looks like the Mastery traits are smaller bonuses that while they seem less impactful at first, they stack with other abilities and multiple attacks per round.

An 11th level sword and board Champion fighter "flexing" their longsword gets their shield bonus to AC and has 3 attacks at 1d10+mods each, critting on a 19-20 to have those d10s get doubled on a crit. Then they use their Action Surge to get 3 more attacks. In an action surge round, that is potentially 6d8 vs. 6d10. It adds up. Heck, they might also be able to attack as a reaction (like an opportunity attack).

Comparing "Flex" to other mastery abilities knocking someone prone, or pushing them 5 feet, or slowing them... Seems decent to me.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Do you think it was the druid itself, or is that the druid revealed how incapable people are of understanding the concept of "early draft"? WotC is all, "Ok, we misjudged the fragile emotional state of long-time players. No more throwing half-finished ideas out there for public comment."
I think it was a kite flying exercise to get people used to the idea of a druid with wild shape based off of skinable templates. I think they are pretty committed to templates for wildshape and summons as it makes solving issues line encounter balance easier. So give a first draft of the druid that is undercooked. It is easier to buff something that is perceived as underperforming than to take away toys that have been given.

I think Monk will come out with whatever UA tries again with the Druid.

I'm waiting to see more about weapon mastery, as it would make playing a martial character more interesting in my eyes.

I hope they plan on doing something about Concentration Check for when you take damage in this UA. It often gets forgotten as who knows if it's the player (who are motivated to forget doing them especially if they have to roll multiple saves in a round) or DM who needs to remember those checks. While it may be a relief for players who are dealing with Hold Person from a monster, it's not for players who have their one buff active as it makes those spells far less appealing to prepare (as advice is often it's a concentration spell so don't bother using it).

Remove ads

Remove ads