• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jeremy Crawford Talks Xanathar's Horizon Walker

In this video for D&D Beyond, Crawford said "So the Horizon Walker is a ranger subclass that is all about drawing on the magic of the multiverse. So many other rangers are very much tied to beasts or hunting particular prey in the natural environment. The Horizon Walker in a way, the camera pans back and it's about the whole multiverse. This is a ranger whose natural environment is the whole cosmos, and they're drawing on its magic and in the process, they're able to teleport around, they're able to draw on that planar magic to deal more damage with their attacks."

In this video for D&D Beyond, Crawford said "So the Horizon Walker is a ranger subclass that is all about drawing on the magic of the multiverse. So many other rangers are very much tied to beasts or hunting particular prey in the natural environment. The Horizon Walker in a way, the camera pans back and it's about the whole multiverse. This is a ranger whose natural environment is the whole cosmos, and they're drawing on its magic and in the process, they're able to teleport around, they're able to draw on that planar magic to deal more damage with their attacks."

[video=youtube;FP0g7KTSOUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP0g7KTSOUI[/video]​

"It is a type of ranger that actually appeared in 3rd Edition for instance, so there, it also has some history in the game, and it also leans on a side of the ranger that our Player's Handbook subclasses for the ranger don't lean on, and that is the magical side.

The ranger has always had magic in D&D except for 4th Edition. That was the edition where the ranger lost its magic, but otherwise, the ranger has always had this bit of nature magic, so the Horizon Walker basically has that magic sort of turned up a little bit, and it's specifically this planar magic, having to do with teleportation and entering into the ethereal plane, which not only will have combat applications but also exploration applications, you know, being able to step into the ethereal plane can often mean you can get places other people can't get.

So this is a ranger who is going to be sort of a magical scout for a particular group. This is also a ranger who has an ability to detect portals to other dimensions nearby.

This was actually an ability in the Unearthed Arcana version of the Horizon Walker that was more powerful than the version in Xanathar's Guide because originally, the Horizon Walker when we released it in Unearthed Arcana, could detect every single portal within a particular distance and our playtesters rightly pointed out that having that ability could basically wreck certain adventures if suddenly you know where every single planar portal is within like a mile, and, so we narrowed that down where you locate the nearest portal within a mile and then you can't use this ability again until you rest. So it's now a nice flavorful ability that in certain adventures is going to be very helpful, but it's not gonna crash an entire adventure.

Imagine if we had left it in the game, going into Sigil, the City of Doors, in Planescape, and suddenly knowing where every portal is to go into another world. I imagine almost, you know, steam coming out of the ranger's ears because there's too much information at once, and now that it's just one portal, it can be very useful because if let's say the group has decided, they've learned, "All right. That strange house down at the end of that block in this city, we've heard that infernal creatures have been emerging from it," and the ranger can, "All right, I'm gonna use my ability and see is there a portal in there somewhere?" and this is the ranger who can do that, which I think is gonna be really flavorful in useful in certain campaigns.

The Horizon Walker also, given its magical quality, starts off knowing more spells, just a smidge more than the ranger subclasses in the Player's Handbook.

This is actually a common theme among the ranger subclasses in Xanathar's Guide. All the ranger subclasses have a feature that gives them a few more spells that they know tailored to their subclass beyond the number of spells that they already know as a ranger.

Now, the Horizon Walker, also for people who are familiar with it from the Unearthed Arcana series, know that it also had a capstone ability, its highest level ability, that's what we call it, we call it its capstone, had one that would halve damage, and so this is a chance for me to sort of pull back the curtain and talk a little bit about the balancing process.

A person who closely compares the Unearthed Arcana version of the subclass to the version in Xanathar's Guide will notice a slight change in wording which is actually important for how the game functions. In Unearthed Arcana, it said the damage is halved. In the final version of the feature, its says the ranger has resistance to that damage. Now to many people listening to me, like, "Oh, why does that matter? 'Cause resistance halves damage. Isn't that the same thing?" It's not the same thing because resistance doesn't stack. Because when I was working with Ben Petrisor doing, a number of our staff, doing a balance pass on everything in this book, we looked at that and we were like, "Oops. It never should have said just naked halving. Occasionally we do that purposefully, but in this case it was accidental. Because that would mean if the ranger also had resistance to that damage, that halving would stack with it, which was not our intent. It was intent for it to just be a, like all other resistance, either you're halving it or you're not, and so that's a good example of, as we refine something, as we take it from its initial draft form, we get playtest feedback, we develop it into its final form, that's the kind of subtle change that we make that can sometimes end up having, in corner cases, a large impact at the game table.

So feedback in general for the Horizon Walker was positive. I think people liked, again, this cosmic feel, the teleportation, the ranger getting to do force damage by channeling this planar magic. People just liked the feel of it, the narrative of it, because we find most often what people respond to first when they really like a subclass, is they're responding positively to its story and to its aesthetic, and then, they want to see game mechanics that back up that story, and I think they felt that the Horizon Walker's story was well-supported by its game mechanics, so it's actually an example of a subclass that did not get heavily revised from the Unearthed Arcana process, from there to the final version.

But again, there are subtle changes all over, even in the list of extra spells the Horizon Walker knows, we changed a few of those spells because our playtesters rightly pointed out that the spells had very little combat utility, that we had actually gone so far in the direction of sort of exploration and this cosmic feel that we hadn't given the ranger many new options that would see use in combat, so we swapped out a couple of the spells to do that.

Also, people rightly pointed out that for a subclass that's all about stepping between planar barriers and teleporting, all the teleportation built in to the subclass was most combat-based, so we then, this is a case where instead of putting a combat thing in the spell list, we put a non-combat thing, we made sure that the ranger had Misty Step there as one that they would know for free, and so that means it's not a spell that a ranger would have to learn by some other means."

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 17.58.43.png

CapnZapp

Legend
I think adding it to the Basic rules would accomplish that. I think the Basic rules are considered core and not the +1 sourcebook?
You are correct. Not sure WotC think it's a good idea, though. Basic is basic - having two rangers is the opposite of basic.

Besides, having things in Basic that you don't find in the PHB is probably a bad idea.

(That's completely independent from my expressed notion to have it in print, btw)

I think adding it to the Basic rules would accomplish that. I think the Basic rules are considered core and not the +1 sourcebook?

Considering that AL does not require you to even own the PHB, but can rather make your character with just the Basic Rules and be AL-legal, I would say yes.

Also, for the other folks, I do not get the desire for a spell-less Ranger. I have been playing since 1st Ed and a Ranger having magic is as natural to me as a wizard having magic. A spell-less Ranger is just a Fighter or Rogue with wilderness skills. Can't people do that already with 5th Ed?

A spell-less ranger is a fighter with Archery (or twin weapons) and the Outlander background.
A spell-less bard is a rogue with a guitar.

Or what exactly do you think is in bards and rangers that isn't magical.
Well, for the Rangers, you have the wilderness survival skills, travel and stealth capabilities, several different combat styles, favoured enemy, favoured terrain and possibly the animal companion.
Almost everything other than the actual spells in fact.

Bards have skill capabilities and jack of all trades, Song of Rest, Inspiration at least. Plus a few abilities that are magical but not actual spells.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Also, for the other folks, I do not get the desire for a spell-less Ranger. I have been playing since 1st Ed and a Ranger having magic is as natural to me as a wizard having magic. A spell-less Ranger is just a Fighter or Rogue with wilderness skills. Can't people do that already with 5th Ed?

Indeed, even more once we'll have new options for character creation in the form of feats and backgrounds. Listening thru XanatharMs previews, I think my next character will be a ''ranger'', but made with the Cavalier fighter (I always imagined ranger as being good riders)+Outlander + some skill feats like UA Investigator, UA Animal Handler or Healer and Alert.

I guess same could be done with the Bard: take a Mastermind (Advantage at range as bonus action) + some feats like UA SIlvertongued and Performer, or Actor + the entertainer background. Or, to recreate the old jack-of-all-trade bard from older editions, take Thief for the Use Magic Items + UA Performer + UA Arcanist or Magic Initiate.

More on topic, I wish this ranger archetype will be more focused on exploration than just ''I teleport in combat''. Some disciplines from the Nomad mystic would be awesome on an exploration-based character. I just wished they'd just modified the Favored Terrain mechanic to give different bonus based on what terrain you were instead of giving them a generic power in the revised version. This way, the Horizon Walker could have an expanded bonus list depending on the plane he was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ranger 4, using all spell slots for Hunter's Mark, then fighter X, is a perfectly fine spell-less Ranger. Hunter's Mark is a bonus action with only verbal components, no saving throw, is a divination so I know of no resistance or immunity to it, so work fine just pretending it's not magical. You could even do Ranger 8 using the 2nd level slots for Hunter's Mark as well. Mostly because, well, 2nd level Ranger spells already kinda leave something to be desired anyway (though Spike Growth, Pass Without Trace, Beast Sense, and Silence do have uses).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Thinking about the Horizon Walker, is the portal ability really that useful?

I mean, if it is just "do you sense anything" and doesn't cost any resources, that's fine, but in the example Jeremy is talking about it's kind of... pointless.

"That house over there has had strange sounds and demons coming out of it ever since the last blood moon."

"I bet there is a portal, I'll use my ability to see if there is a portal"

"There is indeed a portal, to the Abyss, which explains the demons coming out of it."

I mean, I could see some cool uses for that ability, but depending on the range it becomes a matter of just "this is to confirm the DM isn't giving us a red herring" instead of actually discovering something you would not have otherwise been able to find.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Agreed. I would have much preferred an ability to cast Plane Shift (first use only; without the offensive ability and probably without the teleportation circle option). That, more than anything else, would give the flavour I'd want in a Horizon Walker.

I know this is not a mainstream view.
(Not holding out hope, as it wasn't in the UA and I don't think many others will have put that in their feedback. Still, a boy can dream.)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads