Jessica Jones [spoilers allowed]

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I won't be watching- I don't have Netflix- so I have no idea what Killgrave's power is. Enlighten please?

He can make people do what he wants. How he does it in the show hasn't been explained after one episode. In the comics he is a mutant that has mind controlling body odor if I remember correctly.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I won't be watching- I don't have Netflix- so I have no idea what Killgrave's power is. Enlighten please?

He's a narcissitic pyschopath with the power of casual Mind control, to the point that he doesn't actually know if he is getting what he wants because people are controlled or because they simply want to gve it.- it's explained by his victims that "he makes you want to do whatever he tells you to do even if at the back of your mind you know you don't want to"

in the comics its chemical (pheromone) based, in the show its a virus and in episode 8/9 iirc they show how he acquired his viral ability (and also why he's so f'd up)

Last edited:

He's a narcissitic pyschopath with the power of casual Mind control, to the point that he doesn't actually know if he is getting what he wants because people are controlled or because they simply want to gve it.- it's explained by his victims that "he makes you want to do whatever he tells you to do even if at the back of your mind you know you don't want to"

in the comics its chemical (pheromone) based, in the show its a virus and in episode 8/9 iirc they show how he acquired his viral ability (and also why he's so f'd up)
To be honest... I think his past doesn't really explain his behaviour again. It's not like he's the first "super" or "gifted" from painful experimentation done to him. Some turn supervillain, some superhero, some in between. Some want to help others because they feel empathy with the suffering, others want to lash out.
But he's not even lashnig out or on a vengeance spree or something.

I think it's more the nature of his power that makes it so easy to use it for bad. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To be honest... I think his past doesn't really explain his behaviour again. It's not like he's the first "super" or "gifted" from painful experimentation done to him. Some turn supervillain, some superhero, some in between. Some want to help others because they feel empathy with the suffering, others want to lash out.

I think it's more the nature of his power that makes it so easy to use it for bad. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

yeah I guess you're right there, I suppose his past is just another crutch he uses.
For me the thing that made Killgrave so fascinating was that he was so pointless and pathetic. His whole obsession with Jessica was that of a spoilt self entitled child, purposeless - pure narcissism

Which I suppose really makes Killgrave the perfect villain for the post-millenial age (hyperbole) :erm:

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend

He even mentally edits hos past to justify his actions. Instead of "using experimental retroviral therapy to save his life", his parents "performed evil experiments on their own child."

Kilgrave: Sense Motive +17, Bluff +23, Diplomacy +23, Coax Information Rogue Talent, and "Do what I say (Ex)"

Do What I Say (Ex): At will, as a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, Kilgrave can instruct anyone within 60 feet to do what he says. Line of sight is not required, and the effect can work around corners up to the total distance of 60 feet, similar to how the message spell can work around barriers (therefore Kilgrave can use this ability on an invisible target within that range, and can use it on a target behind a stone wall if the wall has air openings that create an uninterrupted path to the target). This effect works like the following spells: suggestion, mass suggestion or dominate person (caster level 12). The effect can last a maximum of 12 hours with no save allowed, and the target is not immune to the command even if it would be harmful to the target. This is a sonic, disease effect (targets that are deaf or immune to diseases are immune to this effect). This effect can be suppressed by a silence spell and remove disease (DC 23 for the purposes of remove disease only). If a target under this effect is administered an antiplague, the target can attempt a Fort save (without the +5 bonus from antiplague) against a DC of 23. Similarly, if a target affected by this ability already ingested an antiplague within the last hour, it can attempt a Fort save (without the +5 bonus from antiplague) against a DC of 23.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Indeed. Regular people can break beds too, or so I've heard... heheheh

yes, yes we can

anyway does anyone want to comment on

1 Gifted Origins - Marvelverse has justed added Retrovirus to its Superpower Origins along with Super-Soldier serums, Aliens/Gods, Technology and Inhumans

2 What is IGH? are they trying to replicate the Supersoldier Programme? Is it the Marvelverse name for the Weapon X programme?
(note the show makes reference to the Big Green Guy and the Flag waiver, so was that not only an easter egg but a veiled hint to Supersoldiers)

3 Was there a point to Jeri Hogarth being a lesbian? in the comics Jeryn Hogarth is male, and while theres nothing wrong with the gender swap and even her being a lesbian, having the whole lesbian affair with the sexy young secretary just seemed to me to be a bit contrived and then by the end of the run largely irrelevant.
She's a partner in a corporate law firm we always knew she was going to be a Mega-bitch without the side line distraction.

4, Who were the other kids on Reva's drive? Will Luke be going after them?

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
After 5 episodes, I'm wondering if this show will be able have a good second season. The show is good because it focuses on JJ's trauma and her relationship to Kilgrave. Take that away and I'm not sure what we have. Would it be more up beat? As engaging if the BBEG of the second season isn't as personal for her?

Remove ads