Jets leak new unis

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Reported here, there, and elsewhere:
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-...ction-to-New-NY-Jets-Uniform-Leaks--130847769

I’m a Saints fan, so I don’t really matter in this discussion, but...

The colors are fine. The rest? Not impressed. Especially with the same “JETS” on the helmet.

If it were me, I’d have gone with a silhouette of a classic American military jet. If a fighter were used, it would be on the side, replacing the team name. If a bomber were chosen, it would go on the crown...dropping bombs down the side.

Either design might escape some fans, but I’m sure those who served would HAPPILY clue others in.

Classic colors? Check.
Iconography that fits the name? Check.
Patriotic? Check.

I might even incorporate a green & white version of the AF logo (old or new) into the jersey- with permission, of course.

61w9LOFYRmL._SX425_.jpg

16fee7295c60beb468643c6b2a14193b.jpg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Effectively allying a sports team with the current real-life military has downsides that I expect the organization would not want.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t think that’s as big a deal here & now as it would have been in the Vietnam War era. I mean, the American military seems to poll pretty highly these days, especially the Air Force.

What downsides are you thinking about?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What downsides are you thinking about?

Just that the here and now can become very much like the then and there very quickly.

I'll put it this way - if you were a corporate manager considering the risks associated with tying your team's image and iconography to a government and military agency... would you do that at this time? Do you consider the government today a reliable partner/role model and unlikely to do anything untoward, or otherwise produce risks for you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In responding, I would make a distinction between “government” and “military”. For the most part, the anti-govenment sentiment in this country is fairly strong across all branches.

But I think the military in particular is pretty darn popular. This infographic from Statistica would seem to back that up, and the data they used came from a Gallup poll.

chartoftheday_14514_the_institutions_americans_trust_most_and_least_n.jpg

Could it change? Sure! But right now, hitching yourself to one of the most popular institutions in the USA- at least in the short term- would look like be a win-win. And since they could change their unis within a 12-month window, the downside would seem a minimal risk.

I mean, “Oh noes! We have to sell a DIFFERENT jersey in our stores, now!”

I mean, the entire NCAA uses military-themed unis on certain holidays (often with some kind of camouflage pattern) to celebrate the military. Why not the Jets?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m a Saints fan, so I don’t really matter in this discussion, but...

That's our local team! They lost to Liverpool 3-1 last night.

In other news, this is one of those amusing situations where the alleged transatlantic "common language" is utterly incomprehensible.

"Jets leak new unis". I literally have no idea what that sentence means in the broadest terms. "Unis" is something to do with universities? which makes "Jets" a team of something?

I give up! I could Google it, but that's no fun. :)

(Yes, I’m being silly).

Last edited:

Remove ads