• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Joe Manganiello's D&D Campaign Includes a Game of Thrones Creator & Vince Vaughn

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

war-of-dragons-new-resize.jpg

We have some posts in this very thread doubting the sincerety of the group. There are some posts bemoaning the lack of representation and saying they must only play with guys. There are some posts with assumptions of what their playgroup is like already in mind.
But I guess all of that still means a welcomingness and openmindedness. Yeah.
We're welcoming and open minded to people who deserve it.

No, I don't see any irony in that at all, why do you ask?

Badvoc

Explorer
Lots of assumptions being made in this thread. Joe's home game has certainly included both male and female gamers - as mentioned by his wife:
It's good to see the hobby get positive press. Celebs playing D&D is no longer a new thing, but it's cool to see details of some famous faces playing an ongoing home game rather than a live stream.

The first mention of Joe's home game I remember was when someone had linked to some of Sofia's social media posts - she was setting up food (and maybe a birthday cake?) for him in his game room iirc and posting pics of some of the minis and seeming both amused and bemused by his hobby.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Take away the fame aspect and to me it sounds very much like how my group started off, with me and a friend then added a few work colleagues and then finally a friend of one of my work colleague who was interested.

The fact there are no women is neither here nor there for this article. It reads as an insight piece into someone's life not a article promoting something. Like posters have said were the game to be brought into the public domain on an ongoing basis, I'd expect more diverse representation, but I can't judge on an unknown future. Sure it's public domain and can be open for critiscm, but I think a lot of people are judging harshly.

I'm full of respect for Joe, and I think he's done nothing but positive things for our hobby, so cheers fella I raise my ale to you and wish you good gaming!

R_J_K75

Legend
Take away the fame aspect and to me it sounds very much like how my group started off, with me and a friend then added a few work colleagues and then finally a friend of one of my work colleague who was interested.

The fact there are no women is neither here nor there for this article. It reads as an insight piece into someone's life not a article promoting something. Like posters have said were the game to be brought into the public domain on an ongoing basis, I'd expect more diverse representation, but I can't judge on an unknown future. Sure it's public domain and can be open for critiscm, but I think a lot of people are judging harshly.

I'm full of respect for Joe, and I think he's done nothing but positive things for our hobby, so cheers fella I raise my ale to you and wish you good gaming!

I want to sign up to play, and Im sorry that I don't have the link but there is a make a wish to play D&D with Joe. Ill see if I cant find the link,

R_J_K75

Legend
Take away the fame aspect and to me it sounds very much like how my group started off,

I originally thought that was going to be a celebrity telethon type thing, but then you see his wife talk about it a few posts up, sorry I don't know how to quote people, but shes totally cool with it and hes really into it. At first I thought it was a publicity stunt, but now I realise its not and Im sold.

Dire Bare

Legend
Lots of assumptions being made in this thread. Joe's home game has certainly included both male and female gamers - as mentioned by his wife:
It's good to see the hobby get positive press. Celebs playing D&D is no longer a new thing, but it's cool to see details of some famous faces playing an ongoing home game rather than a live stream.

The first mention of Joe's home game I remember was when someone had linked to some of Sofia's social media posts - she was setting up food (and maybe a birthday cake?) for him in his game room iirc and posting pics of some of the minis and seeming both amused and bemused by his hobby.

Thanks, I had seen that interview when it first aired, and then forgotten about it. Sofia is hilarious the way she talks about her husband's hobby (without being demeaning or dismissive in any way). It's clear that it's not her thing and she doesn't quite get it, but doesn't view it as weird or childish in any way. Not much different than being a Steelers fan and wearing Steelers gear outside of a football game . . . .

Also a good reminder that Joe's home game's current line-up may be a "sausage fest" (man, I hate that term) . . . but he talks about how the make-up of his regular group has fluctuated over the years (as do most groups) and he's also talked about hosting other side-games and one-shots . . . . we only know who's playing now, and a few name-drops of some folks who've played in Joe's "dungeon" in the past. A table full of dudes now doesn't mean dudes-only all the time.

Ultimately, not that it matters. Who Joe invites over to play in his home game is his business, not ours (although, obviously, we're interested). If Joe actually copped to never allowing a woman to enter his sacred man-cave . . . well, that wouldn't impress me, but it wouldn't overly bother me either.

The live-stream games he's been a part of have been fairly diverse with all sorts of folks playing, although I don't think he was the DM for any of them. I'm more interested in diversity in live-stream games, as they blend the personal hobby with public entertainment.

R_J_K75

Legend
Thanks, I had seen that interview when it first aired, and then forgotten about it. Sofia is hilarious the way she talks about her husband's hobby (without being demeaning or dismissive in any way). It's clear that it's not her thing and she doesn't quite get it, but doesn't view it as weird or childish in any way. Not much different than being a Steelers fan and wearing Steelers gear outside of a football game . . . .

Also a good reminder that Joe's home game's current line-up may be a "sausage fest" (man, I hate that term) . . . but he talks about how the make-up of his regular group has fluctuated over the years (as do most groups) and he's also talked about hosting other side-games and one-shots . . . . we only know who's playing now, and a few name-drops of some folks who've played in Joe's "dungeon" in the past. A table full of dudes now doesn't mean dudes-only all the time.

Ultimately, not that it matters. Who Joe invites over to play in his home game is his business, not ours (although, obviously, we're interested). If Joe actually copped to never allowing a woman to enter his sacred man-cave . . . well, that wouldn't impress me, but it wouldn't overly bother me either.

The live-stream games he's been a part of have been fairly diverse with all sorts of folks playing, although I don't think he was the DM for any of them. I'm more interested in diversity in live-stream games, as they blend the personal hobby with public entertainment.

Pretty sure there is a "Play With Joe" "Make-A-Wish" fund where you can play with him. Saw it on my google feed, see if I can find it.

R_J_K75

Legend

The whole video is a beautiful thing,

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads