D&D General Joe Manganiello's D&D Campaign Includes a Game of Thrones Creator & Vince Vaughn

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

war-of-dragons-new-resize.jpg

I doubt anyone here was making demands about Manganiello's group. However, given how social media works today, especially around anything to do with morally-charged issues of representation, it's disingenuous not to recognize that the spark of 'disappointment' could easily flare into an online shaming mob demanding action. Those are the times we live in.

Dire Bare

Legend
A post-lockdown piece on Joe Manganiello, with a brief (not very deep) check-in on his D&D campaign since it moved online.

Thanks for the link! Interesting article.

Although, the author's lack of knowledge was a little irritating when they referred to Manganiello's weekly game as a "competition". I also found the comparison of "The Spine of Night" to "He-Man" way off, even though Joe rolled with it.

Thanks for the link! Interesting article.

Although, the author's lack of knowledge was a little irritating when they referred to Manganiello's weekly game as a "competition". I also found the comparison of "The Spine of Night" to "He-Man" way off, even though Joe rolled with it.
Well, that tracks. Some discussions on EN about "what counts as an RPG" have dismissed certain systems because "they don't count as a game if there is no element of competition" so to some people D&D must be...errrm...competitive...??

Joe came to the last Gary Con that was in person and he came to game as in he was in games most of the time there and all the people that had him at their table pretty much said he was a gamer like everyone else.

He does have a t-shirt company that is linked to D&D (death-saves.com), so he is not completely non-commercial and he has links to Hasbro and Hasbro PR (was a guest designer for the recent reboot of Heroquest). I would expect that WoTC PR is thrilled to have him as a public face.

Otherwise, this is a message board so if you want to post that you are disappointed that there were no women in the game featured, I can’t see why you couldn’t. I also agree with the people that pointed out that it was petty and rude. Right down to the “sausage fest” comment which is a way of saying all guys but in the crude side as it refers to sexual organs.

I make no secret that I play D&D in my professional career (my Monday game starts at 5 PM pacific to accommodate my East Coast friends) and my boss knows that I leave by 4 to run the game. Our weekly 1-on-1 is even 3-4 PM on Monday and the SF Bay Area traffic can be bad so I really do need to leave at 4.

I don’t get the expectation that all games need to be representative. I happen to have a woman in my home game on Monday, but maybe I cheated as she is my daughter. Since D&D is part of my public persona and is a hobby that I will bring up if professionally people care about my hobbies, do I now have special rules I need to have on my private home game that has people in that that I have games for 40 years with?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads