D&D General Joe Manganiello's D&D Campaign Includes a Game of Thrones Creator & Vince Vaughn

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

The entertainment magazine Variety has joined the long list of mainstream publications who have published articles about D&D in recent years. They take a look at Joe Manganiello's home game, which includes Vince Vaughn, plus the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, and one one of the Game of Thrones creators!

war-of-dragons-new-resize.jpg

darjr

I crit!
Nice, leave out the opposing posts. And not actually quoting them.
Sorry folks, I still see the response as far more reactionary and Ill considered. ESPECIALLY with that straw grasping post about “isn’t this the nature of modern internet demands”.

Oh come on “sausage fest“ is just slang for a bunch of dudes. It was really that offensive?!

I rest my case: SAUSAGE FEST | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
What you said was that "it is sad that it is such a sausage fest and Joe seems to be wanting to only play with guys".
Those are some mighty big assumptions to make.

I am not saying anything about it being offensive. I am calling out the closedmindedness.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd like to point out that the quote above from my post is taken out of context. I said that I would expect to see more diversity if his game were monetized and for public consumption. However, it isn't. I think calling Joe Manganiello's home game harmful to society as a whole is overblown, to put it mildly. That said, I also think we're doing each other a lot of disservice getting angry and pointing fingers about it. I'm happy to simply disagree with people who have a different opinion here.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
What you said was that "it is sad that it is such a sausage fest and Joe seems to be wanting to only play with guys".
Those are some mighty big assumptions to make.

I am not saying anything about it being offensive. I am calling out the closedmindedness.
I’ve already admitted that I was unkind to Joe, what more do you want?

darjr

I crit!
Uh and this is where I’m going to back out of the debate anyway, I know it’s a cheap dodge. But I just realized I’m arguing with Mistwell and frankly? I know I’m gonna lose the debate, even if I’m right, dangit. I’m a piker compared to Mistwell.

I’ve already admitted that I was unkind to Joe, what more do you want?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I.
Saying that people are getting angry with unsupported reason is very poor form though. Especially as being pointed out the attacks as they have been on Joe really have been unfair and unkind. Closedminded and with a lot of assumptions in play.

In addition to wanting people to respect their individual opinions I also urge people to respect other people's games and who they play with.

3catcircus

Adventurer
A small anecdote: At Gary Con a couple of years ago, I played a lazy Sunday game with a young woman who had spent much of the weekend volunteering for the con (free admission). Manganiello had made an (as far as I know) unannounced appearance the day before, and she had gotten to meet him on her shift. "I got to stand next to him for 48 seconds!" she gushed. I thought, I guess anybody who has women literally counting the seconds they get to be around him must be doing something right.

What kind of life does someone have that their biggest thrill is standing next to someone else for less than a minute? I don't get it. Yeah, he's an actor in TV. Yeah, the physical fitness may attract people. But the guy isn't there to be worshipped or kowtowed to...

I've traveled all over the world and have interacted with or have crossed paths with various types of people - CEOs, high ranking governmental officials, celebrities, pro athletes, etc.

Every interaction or exposure I've had, I've treated it like I'm meeting anyone else I've ever met. No fawning over them, no yes-man attitude. It's served me well because it puts at ease people who are used to dealing with obsessive fans or subordinates who tell them what they think they want to hear rather than what they need to know. Then again, my interactions have generally consisted of sitting next to someone on a plane, attending meetings, or hanging out in a hotel exec lounge. Sitting in a hotel lounge nursing a beer and discussing world affairs with such people leads to the understanding that most people, regardless of their wealth or fame, are similar in their outlook. That want to be successful professionally, struggle to keep their partner happy, worry about their kids' academic future, have hobbies and interests the general public is unaware of (and they're thankful for that fact), and hate the crap associated with their chosen profession (everyone has someone they report to or that rely upon them).

Birmy

Adventurer
What kind of life does someone have that their biggest thrill is standing next to someone else for less than a minute? I don't get it. Yeah, he's an actor in TV. Yeah, the physical fitness may attract people. But the guy isn't there to be worshipped or kowtowed to...

Eh, she was a young girl unexpectedly put in the presence of a hunky celebrity she liked and was starstruck (or "SQUEE," as I assume the kids still say). At no point did I feel the need to question "what kind of life" she had. I'm sure she went about her life as normal the next day. In the telling of it it came off as a cute celebrity crush story she could brag about to her friends later; it's not like she was hiding in the bushes outside his house or anything.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads