JollyDoc's Rise of the Runelords...Updated 12/22

primemover003

First Post
JD, how did your players take to the 5 buff rule? I'm finishing the STAP now and am prepping Curse of the Crimson Throne and floate the idea of a buff limit to one of my players who was looking at an abyssal sorcerer and he absolutely hated the idea (I had originally thought 3 buffs). It didn't really suprise me as he's my resident Optimizer... but our groups are fairly similar so how have your house rules worked out?

JollyDoc

Explorer
JD, how did your players take to the 5 buff rule? I'm finishing the STAP now and am prepping Curse of the Crimson Throne and floate the idea of a buff limit to one of my players who was looking at an abyssal sorcerer and he absolutely hated the idea (I had originally thought 3 buffs). It didn't really suprise me as he's my resident Optimizer... but our groups are fairly similar so how have your house rules worked out?

Well, we were originally going to go with three buffs as well, but as a group voted on 5 instead. It's worked out great, I think. People can still use their rounds/level buffs on top of their standard five. I think it balances the game alot. No more endless lists of buffs, and it lets the casters prepare the spells they want instead of just a bunch of buff spells. Makes Dispel Magic much quicker as well.

Joachim

First Post
JD, how did your players take to the 5 buff rule?

To follow-up on what JD said, the 3 buff rule is far, far too restrictive and really puts PCs in a real bind vs. monsters. I have no problem with limiting buffs, and that is why Ricky (Duerton's player) and I suggested the limit of 5. Five buffs allows for the PCs largely to adequately arm themselves and allows for versatility, but prevents Mandi-type nonsense (at her apex, Mandi had 24 buffs on herself...she rocked).

The_Warlock

Explorer
To follow-up on what JD said, the 3 buff rule is far, far too restrictive and really puts PCs in a real bind vs. monsters. I have no problem with limiting buffs, and that is why Ricky (Duerton's player) and I suggested the limit of 5. Five buffs allows for the PCs largely to adequately arm themselves and allows for versatility, but prevents Mandi-type nonsense (at her apex, Mandi had 24 buffs on herself...she rocked).

And the limitation doesn't seem to have actually prevented you folks from kicking-butt and taking names most of the time, if this story hour is any indication. Great story and excellent tactics, by the by.

At the end of my 3.x run I believe the total number of long duration buff spells cast before any "real adventuring day" was something in the range of 60, with most characters covered by about 15 or 16, and the front line fighter awash in about 30. We actually had a laminated chart on the wall...oy. Of course, after 2.5 hours of adventure, some of them usually called for a Magnificent Mansion so they could hide their total lack of remaining magical defense from the enemies.

SUNDAY TEASER--Nov. 23, 2008

1) When is a kobold not a kobold...? When she has 12 levels of barbarian!

2) What's worse than a barbarian kobold? A barbarian kobold with 9 stone giant buddies.

3) What's worse than a barbarian kobold, and her nine stone giant buddies? A haunting experience that kills one of our heroes instantly!

4) In the midst of chaos, an unexpected ally steps forth.

5) But alas...what's worse than a barbarian kobold, her nine stone giant buddies, and a haunted insta-kill? Troll fighters...behind murder holes...with pole arms...and 20' reach...ouch!!
Ouch - all of it !!!

:]

Schmoe

Adventurer
SUNDAY TEASER--Nov. 23, 2008

1) When is a kobold not a kobold...? When she has 12 levels of barbarian!

2) What's worse than a barbarian kobold? A barbarian kobold with 9 stone giant buddies.

3) What's worse than a barbarian kobold, and her nine stone giant buddies? A haunting experience that kills one of our heroes instantly!

4) In the midst of chaos, an unexpected ally steps forth.

5) But alas...what's worse than a barbarian kobold, her nine stone giant buddies, and a haunted insta-kill? Troll fighters...behind murder holes...with pole arms...and 20' reach...ouch!!

Can't wait!

I have been experiencing withdrawl effects as well, although my Dr. misdiagnosed them with the flu. :( ;)

What's you gaming schedule over the holidays - following through or taking a break? Any chance of a special guest appearance from gfunk?

Remove ads