JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Hammerhead

Explorer
These updates just keep getting better and better.

For all his half-elven bardness (with worthless feats), Anwar is an inspiration. It's especially fun to watch him drag the group to evil...I just hope he can drag Lavinia down to his level too. :)

monboesen

Explorer
Cold blooded murdering by the PC's. The next step is the one where they turn upon each other in more preemptive strikes.

Sorry not my kind of thing, time for me to bow out of reading this story.

monboesen

Explorer
Cold blooded murdering by the PC's. The next step is the one where they turn upon each other in more preemptive strikes.

This is not reluctant vigilantism or shades of grey morals, but rather full-fledged homocidal power hungry maniacs on the loose.

gfunk

First Post
Hammerhead said:
For all his half-elven bardness (with worthless feats), Anwar is an inspiration.

Speaking of that, a further review of Master of Masks show it to be ever more sub-optimal than Bard levels. Not only that, their BAB and (blasphemy!) skill list are very weak. Disciple of Baalzebub was another possibility but it halt's my spellcasting/song progression. I may have to stick w/ straight Bard perhaps sprinkled w/ a little Marshal. Of course, you will not be disappointed with the continued selection of worthless feats. ;)

Unearthed Arcana optional rule.
Yep we use the book quite a lot.

monboesen said:
This is not reluctant vigilantism or shades of grey morals, but rather full-fledged homocidal power hungry maniacs on the loose.

Wow. Just . . . wow.

I was taken aback at first, but after I went back and re-read the update I can certainly understand your position. But what can I say other than I am having more fun playing now than ever? This was the first time we played a full "evil" campaign and I love role-playing in it. If JollyDoc were writing a novel, I could see how you'd think we might turn on each other, but we are all long-time close friends who are remarkably well-adjusted despite playing homicidial maniacs. It will never, ever happen.

Still, I enjoyed your comments in the past and will be sad to lose you. I hope you find other SHs that are more to your taste.

And JD . . . I don't think I've anticipated an update more than this one. And boy, I was not disappointed.

Joachim

First Post
monboesen said:
Cold blooded murdering by the PC's. The next step is the one where they turn upon each other in more preemptive strikes. This is not reluctant vigilantism or shades of grey morals, but rather full-fledged homocidal power hungry maniacs on the loose. Sorry not my kind of thing, time for me to bow out of reading this story.

I can appreciate your opinion, and I am sorry that you feel the way you do and that we will lose your readership. I will politely disagree with your analysis as you may have the impression that we are running around killing indiscriminately which, apart from Marius' unfortunate event with the stilt-walkers, has most definitely not been the case.

If you have been with us long enough you would seen the Entropy/Amal party infusion...in my opinion that series was considerably much darker than this one.

I understand, however, that this may not be your cup of tea, and we have enjoyed your comments in the past. However I, like Gfunk, am having fun with the higher level of roleplaying and creative problem solving that we as a group have been employing.

JollyDoc

Explorer
monboesen said:

I to am sorry to lose a reader, but if you've been a long-term reader of my/Gfunk's story hours, you know that there has always been a darker element somewhere in the thread. I don't make this stuff up. I write what happens at our table, and I have always encouraged my players to be creative. They don't like to be led by the nose through a cook book campaign, and I don't like leading them. This is what makes any campaign enjoyable and keeps any DM worth his salt on his toes: deviation from the written plot. I enjoy weaving these unexpected developments into the bigger story. Take Gfunk's SH for instance: the group's failure to defeat Lolth in Demonweb Pits led to Cormyr being overrun by drow and demons. This led to an entire campaign aimed at reclaiming the kingdom. So, again, I hate to lose a reader, but I feel that if you stick it out, you'll be in for a great ride. Don't you love not knowing how something's going to end until the very last minute? :D

Last edited:

This outcome is truely inexpected! Anwar, knowing full well in his heart that the party could have ended this without this much bloodshed, played his hand so very well to max out his own benefit. Kudos for DM & players. :D

And controvertial as well, I see. I would agree with the majority of the readers that the darker alignments have resulted in many "ahs" and "wows" through the unexpected actions unthinkable of the groups in the previous campaigns. And that's what I come here for: an original story about interesting characters, who (this time) do things an unorthodox way.

Monboesen, have you never played an evil PC? The majority of PCs that I have played were either paladins or good-aligned priests, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy an evil wizard, psion or fighter once in a while.
And while many of the legions acts are evil, it's not wanton evil, but calculated actions inline with their darker morals.

There are a lot of penalties for good parties, e.g. what to do with captured guards of a BBEG that are not evil themselves? Kill them? The League from AoW solved these challenges excellently via original roleplaying ideas (the guards at the Champions Games). The Legion does not have these moral issues, which makes things a little bit easier for them.
Is the dark side stronger? No...no...no. Quicker, easier, more seductive. Some of the Legion's actions will have repercussions! And I am looking forward to when JollyDoc will incorporate this into the story. :] Not that I don't think the Legion will not be able to deal with this. :]

Remove ads