JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

primemover003

First Post
JollyDoc said:
Yes, alas, TC really does. With Mighty Swing he can hit three adjacent square simultaneously, and with Power Attack 8, he deals out somewhere around a hundred points of damage per chop to each square he hits. Fear it!

For Raise Dead, you come back mid-way in xp at the previous level. Hasn't been too much of a factor lately, especially when they use the Revenance/Revivfy combo.
I think the Goliath Barbarian/Fighter in my group will surpass TC in terms of sheer damage, but only to one target at a time. After finishing my modified Tides of Dread I'm combining LD and CoBI together (LD will be a side trek at best).

At ECL 13 Deek Blackhammer has a 34 strength while raging, a Large +1 Evil Outsider Fiercebane adamantine Goliath Greathammer and fiendsbane crystal lesser, Leap attack (ususally for 10 points) and Improved Crit (GgH). On an average swing against an evil outsider the Beast is doing 3d6+61+3d6. On Crit it's 12d6+244+3d6+3d10.

Just plain Ugly. Thankfully Khala's Alchemy Master ability means Potions of Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, Blur, and Invisibility are readily available for himself and Xerkemat. I have to pump up the AC's so they don't get one-shotted each!

JollyDoc

Explorer
primemover003 said:
I think the Goliath Barbarian/Fighter in my group will surpass TC in terms of sheer damage, but only to one target at a time.

At ECL 13 Deek Blackhammer has a 34 strength while raging, a Large +1 Evil Outsider Fiercebane adamantine Goliath Greathammer and fiendsbane crystal lesser, Leap attack (ususally for 10 points) and Improved Crit (GgH). On an average swing against an evil outsider the Beast is doing 3d6+61+3d6. On Crit it's 12d6+244+3d6+3d10.

I don't know TC...sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down. Care to retort? ;)

Monkey Boy

First Post
JollyDoc said:
Once we finish up Savage Tide, Tower Cleaver's player, Dave is going to run a one shot for us (in which I'm playing a paladin saint...Cuthbert Allgood) so that we can decompress. After that, we will be starting Pathfinder (now that Paizo has answered our prayers) with Rise of the Runelords. Glutton for punishment that I am, I will no doubt be continuing the story hour with the new AP.

Hey Jolly Doc, long time reader first time poster to the thread. Firstly great work. I always check in to see if an update or teaser has been posted. Congrats to you and your group for the great read.

Maybe I'm off base but you won that major DnD tournament and wound up playtesters for 4E right? Does your comment about running Pathfinder next tell us something about how your group found gaming with the 4E rules?

Will you be running Rise of the Rune Lords with the Pazio 3.75 ruleset?

Joachim

First Post
Monkey Boy said:
Maybe I'm off base but you won that major DnD tournament and wound up playtesters for 4E right? Does your comment about running Pathfinder next tell us something about how your group found gaming with the 4E rules?

Yes we did.

Yes it should.

Yes we will.

So say we all.

Joachim

First Post
JollyDoc said:
I don't know TC...sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down. Care to retort? ;)

Actually, if we are going creature specific, Octurus might be pretty close to this guy on evil outsiders. Maybe not in quality per hit, but definitely in quantity with his 60 billion attacks and high crit range.

Now if you were to, say, compare this to TC verses undead creatures Deek Blackhammer might be humbled.

EDIT: Oh, wait...I just saw that was ECL 13. WHOOPS! Yeah...I take all that back. Deek probably wins that fight.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
Joachim said:
Here Part 1 (of 2) of my Mandi RP Update:

-----------------------------------------------------

RESIGNATION AND REDEMPTION

Lavinia stared at the letter in front of her, a look of exasperation on her face. No aid from the family Vito was coming. The Sembian merchant clan had been her last hope for help in reclaiming Farshore. Like sharks smelling blood, the noble houses and merchants of Tashluta saw fit to watch another noble house collapse. House Vanderboren had run out of friends. Even the Dawn Council was turning its back on her and denying her family’s rightful claim, having been bribed by Meravanchi’s continental kin.

Breathing out a long sigh, Lavinia looked to her seneschal, a new addition to the Vaderboren manor since the attack of the bullywugs. It was time for desperate measures. “We are down to our last few thousand gold. Jerald, I want you to speak with the local magistrate. Find out what kind of value this estate has. I may need to consider using it as collateral or, if the price is right, sell it.”

The servant’s mouth opened, “Mistress, this house has been in your family for generations. You can’t possibly think of…”

“Jerald, my entire family is dead. My parents, dead. My brother, dead. I am it! When I am gone, this house would be all that is left, sold at auction by the Dawn Council. Think of it, the legacy of a noble house of Tashluta, going once, twice, SOLD for five thousand gold coins! No…That is not what my parents would want. Their legacy was Farshore, and I’ll be damned if someone else is going to claim that while I still draw breath.”

The seneschal nodded, knowing that he was not going to be able to talk his mistress out of her plan. As he turned to leave the room, one of the maids peeked her head into the room. “Milady, you have a visitor…one of your bodyguards…you know, the lady elf who wears that snake skin dress…”

Lavinia’s brow furrowed. “You mean Mandi? Show her in, immediately.” The maid nodded, and scurried back towards the front of the house.

A few moments later, the elf wizardess strode into the room, her face expressionless…as always. In her hands she carried a simple letter, wax sealed with the symbol of the Seekers. Lavinia shot out of her chair and went to embrace her cohort, which Mandi accepted awkwardly. Initial pleasantries exchanged, Lavinia spoke, “So tell me, what news of the Legion? How is your mission faring?”

Mandi slowly nodded. “There is much to tell. After leaving you, we bribed the daughter of a demon lord to tell us where her aunt, another demon lord, had been permanently imprisoned by a being of godlike power. We made a deal with that being, a demon lord by the name of Ahazu, whereby we have 65 days to kill the Prince of Demons and turn over the corpse or we as a group will be assumed bodily into the layer of the Abyss known as Shattered Night.

“In trade we were allowed to free the demon lord captive and question her as to the weaknesses of said Demon Prince. Before she could answer, a rent in the sky appeared and the River Styx was redirected on top of us, and we all were stripped of our memories. Shortly thereafter, Charon, the near-godlike boatman of the Styx, appeared and took us to see Iggwilv, the single most powerful mortal being in all of existence. Speaking with her, we learned that we have to meet with and entreat the most wicked beings in the Abyss such that we can form an army against the Prince of Demons.

“If we fail in this task, one half of the Prince of Demons will absorb the other as he unleashes a Savage Tide across this plane, destroying all life on Toril as we know it, ultimately resulting in said demon prince assuming full godhood, taking control of all the horrors of the Abyss, winning the Blood War, and beginning an unstoppable conquest of the remaining planes of the multiverse. And that’s about it.

“How have things been here?”

Lavinia stammered, “Uh…things here are, well, good, I guess. I am having no luck in reclaiming Farshore, or enlisting aid from other families to help me in this, but…ummm. My, all of this sounds so trivial compared to what you and the other ‘Legionnaires’ find yourself up against...”

Mandi cut the noblewoman off with a curt wave of her hand, growing very serious. “Lavinia, do not play down the importance of what you are trying to accomplish. The reason I am here is actually to see that you succeed in reclaiming your father’s legacy.” With that, the elf held forth the sealed letter.

Her head cocked to the side, Lavinia took the letter and popped the seal. “What is this?”

“It’s a certified letter from me, turning over all of my holdings within the Seeker’s guild treasury for your use, provided that you use them to recover Farshore and begin real trade to and from the Isle of Dread.”

Lavinia smiled graciously, almost patronizingly. It was a nice gesture, but couldn’t be enough to fully fund a new vessel to the Isle, but it was appreciated. “Thank you. Every last coin should help. I will add it to the little we have collected. I hate to ask, but how much should I expect to be there.”

Mandi cocked her head back and forth, calculating. “After I made a small donation back to the guild, I believe there should still be approximately three hundred and fifty thousand gold crowns. By my estimation, that should be more than enough to purchase, outfit, and crew no less than two dozen caravels, most likely more.”

The noblewoman’s mouth dropped, and Lavinia was speechless. Mandi continued, “It is my belief that the best way for you to regain the popular control of Farshore is through trade. Bring continental goods to the Isle on your way out there. Bring the exotic Isle goods back to the continent on the return trip home. With two dozen vessels you would have the start of a merchant fleet empire, and not just to Tashluta. The ports and bazaars of Calimport, Baldur’s Gate, and Waterdeep can be stocked with the fine silks, spices, and other trinkets from the Isle of Dread.

“By continually bringing ships in and out, the people of Farshore will begin to prosper. As they prosper, they will become fat on their new wealth, and comfortable as the luxuries of home are continually delivered to their doorstep. They will become dependent on you.

“Don’t forget the mongrelmen. These pitiful creatures have been scorned by all men, except for you. I would imagine that if you continue to show them compassion they would do anything for you. At that point you would have control over the trade routes to and from the Isle, as well as the great percentage of the labor force, giving you total control over the village’s economy.

“The House of Vanderboren would then become the true power ruling over Farshore. The rat Meravanchi may remain the de facto mayor, but his power will be castrated. What is even more satisfying is that not only will he will know what is happening but he will also be fully aware that he is without means of stopping it.”

Lavinia exhaled loudly. “You’ve given this a lot of thought haven’t you? I don’t know what to say. How can I ever repay you?”

“Simply…You can’t. What I give to you now does not require it. If nothing else, what I offer to you is a post-mortem gift to your father. Now, along with this boon, I tender my resignation as your retainer. Farshore is left in your capable hands.

Once our mission on the Abyss is completed, I do not believe that I will spend much of my remaining time on this plane, provided of course that I survive the battles to come. I may check in with you and your progeny every decade or so. Apart from that, however, this is farewell.”

Lavinia nodded, stood, and extended her arm, which Mandi accepted. The elf turned on her heel and promptly left the residence.

Once out in the courtyard, Mandi began intoning the words to her most powerful teleportive spell. A ten-foot diameter portal opened before her leading straight to the Gray Wastes. Before Mandi was to rejoin her comrades, she had one more soul to visit…

I know it's tangential to the main thread of the story, but I really enjoyed this posting. Would it be possible to get a follow up (after the finale of the AP, of course!) that details how Lavinia ended up "castrating" Meravinchi and succeeding (or not) in establishing her merchant empire? I'm a sucker for the feel-good ending I guess, as well as seeing the bad guys get their comeuppance. ;)

Any interest in doing some more writing on this Joachim? Any flattery/bribes/enticements that would help sway your opinion? :heh:

Joachim

First Post
SolitonMan said:
I know it's tangential to the main thread of the story, but I really enjoyed this posting. Would it be possible to get a follow up (after the finale of the AP, of course!) that details how Lavinia ended up "castrating" Meravinchi and succeeding (or not) in establishing her merchant empire? I'm a sucker for the feel-good ending I guess, as well as seeing the bad guys get their comeuppance. ;)

Any interest in doing some more writing on this Joachim? Any flattery/bribes/enticements that would help sway your opinion? :heh:

I'm glad you enjoyed that (your check is in the mail, too). As far as continuing that side-thread, I think that I could do that, if Joe doesn't mind. I had one more little bit to add to Mandi's denoument, but I have decided to do that once the campaign ends...provided of course that we win and Mandi survives (not a sure thing, by any stretch).

JollyDoc

Explorer
Monkey Boy said:
Hey Jolly Doc, long time reader first time poster to the thread. Firstly great work. I always check in to see if an update or teaser has been posted. Congrats to you and your group for the great read.

Ah, bitter irony. I believe Joachim answered clearly and concisely, but ask us again after May 1 and perhaps we can clarify things a bit more.

JollyDoc

Explorer
“OURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY…”

The distance between the Brine Flats and the jungle portal was measured in tens of miles, according to the map provided by Iggwilv. By conventional means, even flight, it would have taken the Legionnaires hours to travel there…hours they did not have to spare. It was Daelric who came up with the solution by calling upon the Traveler to transform himself and his companions into living air, which could be whisked along on the Abyssal winds at incredible speed. So it was that they reached the site of the jungle portal some thirty minutes later, and beheld the fate of the V Asphyxian.

The jungle suddenly came to an end at a blackened swath of char and blood. The desolate clearing sprawled for miles, only recently formed by the wicked blades and fell spells of demon spawn. A field of blasted stumps and ruin was all that remained of the once-tangled junglescape. In some places, the trees looked burnt, in others they were melted, and still others appeared frozen and shattered. Black blood, gore, and bile…still fresh from the stench of it…were splattered across mounds of dead fiends and other horrors. The calamity seemed to have been complete, with no clear victors, almost as though both sides annihilated each other. At the center of the desolation stood a sinister totem, a ten-foot-tall pole of carved demon faces. A tattered battle standard bearing the black death’s head emblem of Orcus’s V Asphyxian Legion hung from the totem, and dangling from its lower border by its hair was the decapitated head of the legion’s undead general.

Cautiously, acutely aware of Iggwilv’s warning about Arendagrost’s presence, the Legionnaires stepped out onto the blasted battlefield. It was Octurus who first saw that something, beyond the obvious, was not quite right. His hawk-like eyes took in the whole of the carnage, but also picked out small details, such as the abundance of nabassu, tieflings and various undead, all bearing Orcus’s brand, and the smaller number of bar-lgura, hezrou and babaus…and the large, yellow eye peering out from beneath a mound of bodies. Holding up one hand, he silently called the group to a halt, pointing towards the vicinity where he guessed the rest of the concealed creature’s body to be…a distance about forty feet away from the totem. Marius cracked his knuckles in anticipation.
“I’ll flush’im out,” the little gnome grinned. Fire crackled around his hands as he spoke arcane words. He released it in a towering column of white-hot flames, centered on the spot Octurus had indicated. To his open-mouthed shock, however, the fire simply…vanished at a point some sixty-feet above the ground.
“What the…?” he gawped.
“I think we can guess why the portal’s not open,” Mandi said, her voice bitter.
“Why?” Sepoto asked, not grasping her conclusion.
“Null-magic,” she replied. “A zone where no magic functions. I would hazard a guess that it’s centered on the totem, and Arendagrost is just waiting for us to make a move for it.”
“So…what do we do?” Daelric asked, fear in his voice.
The sorceress shrugged. “Without my spells, I’m just a glorified librarian, and Marius is simply an angry little man with compensation issues. A blade still cuts, magic or no magic, though.”
She looked pointedly at Sepoto and Tower Cleaver. The goliath sighed deeply.
“It always comes down to this,” he said. “Well Cleaver, it looks like it’s you and me.”
“What about me?” Octurus protested. “I’m not exactly a novice with these.” He held up his blades.
“I realize that,” Sepoto said, “and I definitely have a job for you. Let Cleaver and I draw out Arendagrost, and then you move in. Your target, however, is the totem. It must have some powerful enchantments woven into it. Your blades are not steel. They’re adamantine. They can slice iron as if it were butter. I’ll guess they can take down that idol as well.”
The Maztican nodded.
“As for you,” Sepoto seized Daelric’s tunic. “You’re coming with me and Cleaver.”
“Wh…what?” the priest stammered. “True, I can swing a mace, when desperate, but I’m no warrior, and my magic won’t function any better than Mandi’s or Marius’s!”
“Which is why you’re staying outside the zone,” Sepoto explained. “But I still want you nearby. We’re going to try and find the edge of the dead magic and do most of our fighting there, but if one of us should fall, you need to be there to bring us back. Understood?”
Reluctantly, the young priest nodded. Like a man walking to his own hanging, he followed glumly when the goliath and the minotaur started across the field.

Cautiously, they circled the totem, moving past the point where they believed their foe to be hidden. Finally, they reached a point directly south of the pole.
“Are you ready?” Sepoto asked
“Ready,” Cleaver snorted, hefting his axe.
They began moving forward, one step at a time. Then, between one step and the next, the pair felt all of the magical defenses layered over them, all of the dweomers on the equipment they carried, suddenly wink out. Even Cleaver’s sun-bright axe was snuffed. Two paces behind them, and still cloaked in invisibility, Daelric came to an abrupt halt.
“I’ll wait here,” he whispered.
Sepoto turned to snap off a retort, when an earth-shattering roar sounded from the other side of the pole. The creature that rose from the abattoir of death was huge…a corpulent thing of darkness and hate and madness. A trio of maws gaped from vaguely fiendish heads, each gigantic rotting mouth filled with row upon row of fangs. An obscenity of anger the size of a house, its body was little more than a writhing tangle of tentacles, each large enough to crush the life out of a man with but a moment’s idle whim. Howling with rage, Arendagrost, the Maw of the Abyss, surged across the intervening space between itself and its prey. Cleaver tried to brace himself, but how could one brace for a tidal wave? One of Arendagrost’s heads snapped out and clamped down on the minotaur’s bicep. Roaring in pain, Cleaver jerked back, leaving bits of flesh hanging from Arendagrost’s teeth.

“They’re dead,” Mandi said, matter-of-factly.
Octurus looked at her in shock, while Marius just shrugged.
“If we don’t do something, they’re dead,” she repeated.
“What can we do?” Marius asked. “You said it yourself; our magic won’t work in there. Should we sacrifice our own lives needlessly?”
“No…not our lives,” the sorceress said cryptically, and then she began to chant. As she did so, a shimmering oval appeared in the air behind Sepoto and Tower Cleaver, just outside the border of the totem’s zone. It grew rapidly and flared with orange light. As it did, a hole tore open in reality, breeching the boundaries between the Abyss and the Plane of Fire. Flames roared out of the Gate, followed by a monolithic creature made of living fire, easily a match for Arendagrost in size alone. At Mandi’s command, it sprang forward, hammering one massive fist into the demon’s body before leaping away.
“If you’re going to go, it had best be now!” Mandi shouted to Octurus. The Maztican nodded and sprinted across the battlefield.

Arendagrost snarled in anger at the newcomer, yet some part of his dim intellect still understood where the true threat lay. The elemental’s blow had been glancing, at best, and the flames that comprised its body did not scathe his demonic hide in the slightest. No, the elemental was of little concern. Instead, he turned his attention back to the hulking minotaur. Snapping one of his heads forward again, he seized Tower Cleaver bodily in his jaws, and then tossed him like a rag doll several yards away. Cleaver landed prone, the wind driven from his lungs. Quickly, he rolled to his back and struggled to his feet, but as he did, Arendagrost struck again, inflicting another vicious bite. Enraged, the barbarian struck back reflexively, managing a deep gash by sheer luck alone. Meanwhile, wtih the gargantuan demon distracted, Sepoto raised his own weapon, and bellowing Savras’s name, charged. Behind him, subconsciously stirred by his fervor, the elemental followed. Both of them struck and struck hard, and Arendagrost reeled from the blows. Tower Cleaver, still in blind rage, attacked as well, his axe falling again and again.

At about that time, Octurus bounded across the clearing and reached the totem. As he did so, Mandi shouted a command to the elemental, ordering it to focus on the totem as well. Obediently, the creature turned and slammed both its fists against the wooden idol, sending shivers down its length. Arendagrost whirled like a cobra, but as he did, Octurus darted in, smashing the hilt of his scimitar into one of the demon’s jaws with an audible crack. Arendagrost howled, pulling away, while at the same time lashing out with one of his tentacles. The huge appendage smashed into the Maztican, sending him hurtling through the air until he struck the totem and slumped to the ground. Rearing up to his full height, Arendagrost readjusted his shattered jaw with a sickening grinding sound. A moment later, he howled in pain again, as Tower Cleaver’s axe hacked through his tentacles with blind fury. Arendagrost coiled into himself, like a cobra preparing to strike, and then launched himself at the minotaur. He was fury incarnate, and he ripped into Tower Cleaver like a hound with a rabbit. He pinned the barbarian to the ground and then flailed again and again with his tentacles until the minotaur was no longer moving. Sepoto could only look on in horror, wondering what hope he had against a creature that could so easily defeat his hulking friend.

Octurus climbed slowly to his feet, and then edged around the back of the totem while Arendagrost’s gaze was averted. Once there, he readied his blades and began hacking at the pillar as the elemental continued its assault. The wood seemed made of iron, but slowly, bit by bit, it began to yield and crack. Just a little more, and the zone would be down, allowing Mandi and Marius to unleash their full power upon Demogorgon’s spawn. He raised his blades again, but then a massive shadow blotted out the sun above him as another of Arendagrost’s arms came swinging in. Once again, Octurus was lifted off his feet, landing head-over-heels several yards away. His head spinning, he climbed to his hands and knees. As he looked up, however, trying to see how much time he had before the next assault, he realized his time had run out. The last thing he saw was the behemoth’s maw descending towards him.

Sepoto charged, pelting pell-mell towards the totem. His friends were beyond his help. The only chance he had was to destroy the idol. He ducked between the elemental’s legs, adding his own might to the creature’s massive blows. Arendagrost turned towards them both as the totem’s wood cracked and splintered. In desperation, he launched himself at the elemental, the pair colliding like titans. But it was too late. With one last swing, the elemental split the totem in two, then shattered it into splinters.

Daelric saw his chance. Running as fast as he could, he closed the distance between himself and Tower Cleaver. As he placed his hands upon the minotaur’s chest, he began to pray. Within moments, Cleaver’s eyes opened, but he did not draw breath. He was only a revenant, a half-living vestige of himself, but the spell would buy some time.
“Stay down!” Daelric hissed as the minotaur struggled to rise. Too late, the priest saw all three of Arendagrost’s heads turn towards them. All three mouths gaped, and then unleashed a hellish torrent of fire, ice and acid. Daelric’s celestial nature protected him from the flames, but the cold froze his limbs to the bone, while at the same time the acid melted the skin where it touched. Then, as he looked down, he saw that the light had left Cleaver’s eyes once more.

Sepoto stood, looking at the destruction of the totem, feeling the power of his magic flow back into him. Yet, Arendagrost towered over him, the demon’s own magic obviously functioning as well. He steeled himself for the inevitable, watching as the son of Demogorgon prepared to strike him down. But then, as Arendagrost pounced, his attack was brought up short as he seemed to hit some sort of invisible wall. Then, as the whirling walls of death began to appear, slicing through the giant demon, Sepoto realized what was happening. Arendagrost was trapped, caged by bars of force created by Mandi. It was Marius who was conjuring the blade barriers, one-by-one, slowly filling the cage with them, and inexorably shredding the Maw of the Abyss to ribbons. After that, it was only a matter of time, but Octurus and Tower Cleaver were still just as dead.

JollyDoc

Explorer
As Daelric knelt down beside the bodies of Octurus and Tower Cleaver, a coruscating curtain of light flashed into existence on the far side of the battle field. Another of Iggwilv’s portals had opened, and through the massive Gate marched wave after wave of Orcus’s minions. First was the IX Exsanguinos, a legion of vampiric warlocks and warriors, followed by the XIII Decapitus, which was comprised of blood fiends, nabassu rogues, death giants and nightwalkers. All of this Daelric ignored, however, as he kept his head bowed in prayer. With a surge of power, Octurus and Cleaver arched their backs as they were returned to the half-life of revenants.
“Lie still,” Daelric instructed. “You don’t have long. When my spell ends, you will die once more, but rest assured, I will bring you back quickly, and permanently.”
The two warriors were well acquainted with the priest’s methods of resurrection, and so they lay quietly as the throngs of demons and undead passed them by. Finally, each exhaled a long breath, and closed their eyes once more. Quickly, Daelric began chanting again, this time snatching the souls of his departed friends before they could completely leave their corporeal shells, reviving them fully back to life, though woefully weakened.

Mandi watched all of this impassively. She trusted that Daelric knew his job and would carry it out effectively. Her main attention was focused on the leader of Orcus’s legions. He was a hulking, powerful man, though his actual race could not be discerned due to the horrific, skull-like mask which covered the upper part of his face. Mandi would guess that there was ogre blood somewhere in his heritage. He stalked purposefully towards the sorceress, towering above her when he came to a halt.
“I am Quah-Nomag,” he said, his voice a deep, basso rumble. “It is well that you secured the portal point, but if you wish for the armies of Orcus to provide the distraction that you need, there is more that must be accomplished.”
Mandi sighed. “How could I not have guessed that?” she asked, sarcastically.
Quah-Nomag ignored her attempt at humor.
“I will be marshalling my troops shortly for the march to Lemoriax,” he said. “However, we cannot approach closer than several miles from the city, for Demogorgon has placed an interdiction zone about his capital. No being may teleport into or out of this zone, save by Demogorgon’s will.”
“So?” Mandi shrugged. “You have almost 50,000 troops behind you. Why not simply march on the city?”
Quah-Nomag looked at her impassively. “Because the Demos Horde stands between us and Lemoriax. We are vastly outnumbered. My necromancers can even this imbalance by reanimating every enemy that falls, yet I do not relish the idea of confronting a force as large as the Horde. Yet, a demon army is only as strong as its commander. If they were to lose their leader, we could shatter them with ease.”
“Wait,” Mandi said, her eyes wide. “So, not only do you want us to bring down this interdiction zone, but you also want us to waltz into an enemy camp and attempt to assassinate their general?”
“Just so,” Quah-Nomag nodded. “It might be of note to you that, not only does the interdiction field protect Lemoriax, but it also inhibits entry into Wat Dagon as long as it exists.”
Mandi stewed silently as she mulled over the implications to the general’s words. Finally, she spoke again.
“How can the interdiction zone be brought down?” she asked.
Quah-Nomag shrugged. “You are supposed to be a powerful sorceress, correct? I would think that one such as you would be able to analyze the magical nature of the zone and come up with a solution.”
Mandi’s face reddened. Clenching her jaw, she asked her next question.
“And who, pray tell, currently leads the Demos Horde?”
“Tetradarian,” Quah-Nomag said with a half-smile. “Bagromar’s clone brother.”
“This deal is getting worse all the time,” Mandi muttered.

In the end, the Legionnaires really had no choice. If they hoped to reach Wat Dagon, they would need to have the interdiction zone down, and if they wanted Quah-Nomag to provide the distraction they needed, they would have to give in to his demands. So it was that, once again, the six companions became one with the wind, leaving the legions of Orcus far behind, and far below. Within minutes, they crested a high ridge and saw the Demos Horde sprawled before them, the dark towers of Lemoriax crouching behind. Mandi immediately detected the powerful weave that comprised the interdiction. She could tell that it was a manifestation of Demogorgon’s will, not just some cast spell, and as such, it would only be possible to bring it down by destroying its focus, or disrupting Demogorgon’s concentration on it. The former option seemed extremely unlikely, given that the focus seemed to be a massive ziggurat right in the center of the city. The latter, however…Mandi tapped her chin pensively. Iggwilv had told her that she would know when the time was right to release Obox-ob. She sensed that time was now. With Demogorgon’s most feared adversary slavering at the walls of his capital city, surely the demon prince’s attention would be weakened enough to cause the zone to falter, and then once Orcus’s troops began teleporting in, it would collapse completely.

Quickly, Mandi outlined her plan for her companions. They were skeptical, but saw no other realistic options. So, leaving them hidden in the cloud cover, she drifted down, all but invisible in the hazy air, until she stood directly before the walls of Lemoriax. Hastily, she regained her corporeal form and drew the flask from her cloak. Already, she had been spotted and dozens of demons converged on her location. As she removed the stopper from the flask, however, all of the fiends stopped dead in their tracks. With a shriek of madness, Obox-ob’s avatar exploded into existence, seizing any living thing within its reach and tearing its limbs off before casting it aside. As one, the demons panicked, fleeing in all directions though their commanders screamed at them to return to their posts, and then hurled deadly spells after them when they refused. As for the Lord of Vermin, he had turned his attention to the high walls, casually plucking defenders from its battlements, and then hammering them against the brick and mortar, which began to show cracks splintering from impact points.

Mandi hastily wove a spell, calling out to Quah-Nomag mentally as she saw the interdiction begin to waver.
‘Mission one accomplished,’ she sent. ‘Send support troops now!’
‘It will be done,’ the general replied. A moment later, the sky began to fill with winking points of light as five-thousand Nabassus popped into existence. They fell upon the edges of the Demos camp with a vengeance, and very soon, Mandi was all but forgotten. She began to concentrate, willing her body back into mist, when, out of nowhere, Iggwilv stood beside her.
“Well done,” the Witch Queen smiled. “I’ll be taking the flask now.” She held out one perfectly manicured hand.
Mandi looked at her with red fury in her eyes for a moment, but then realized that she walked a razor’s edge between life and death at that moment. Reluctantly, she handed the flask over.
Iggwilv nodded and smiled again.
“See you soon,” she said cryptically, and then promptly vanished.

Remove ads