Joss Whedon Allegations: The Undoing of the "Buffy" Creator

Mirtek

Hero
Gotta say, it’s a good thing I’ve cultivated an ability to detach creatives’ output from their personal lives. (Ditto others in the public eye.) I was largely unaware of the scandalous & evil acts perpetrated by several people mentioned in here. I generally don’t seek out such info unless and until it is unavoidable news.
I care so little about who creates the stuff that I enjoy, that I only learned that I did enjoy stuff from some of those people mentioned here when I googled them.

Sure the actors are front and center when I watch a show, but directors, show runners, these I hardly register

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I care so little about who creates the stuff that I enjoy, that I only learned that I did enjoy stuff from some of those people mentioned here when I googled them.

Sure the actors are front and center when I watch a show, but directors, show runners, these I hardly register
The thing is, though, directors/writers/showrunners provide a better predictive index of quality, so I pay attention to behind the scenes names to find out more of what I enjoy.

MGibster

Legend
The thing is, though, directors/writers/showrunners provide a better predictive index of quality, so I pay attention to behind the scenes names to find out more of what I enjoy.
I suspect you're correct. Although I don't really follow directors/writers/showrunners, when I think about how bad a particular show is it's usually not the actors I'm finding a great deal of fault with. Gates McFadden did just fine in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Sub Rosa," but there's only so much an actor can do when the plot revolves around Beverly Crusher banging a ghost that not so long ago was banging her grandmother.

MGibster

Legend
I was, unfortunately. It was only last year when someone here mentioned her being awful that I googled and found out that horror story.
And it's harder to accept when this person has a great deal of personal meaning to you. The Mists of Avalon is one of the few interesting modern takes on the Arthurian legends I've ever read (even if it's not my favorite I can recognize that it's good) and is probably the only fantasy book I ever saw my mother read. But while I just acknowledge that MZB was a good author, for a lot of people, MZB meant something much more to them. She encouraged and inspired a lot of women authors to to write fantasy. For those folks, the news about MZB was devastating.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was, unfortunately. It was only last year when someone here mentioned her being awful that I googled and found out that horror story.
She and her husband were head of the Science Fiction Writers Association, that whole organization has stumbled from one disaster to another. Not long ago here I tried to clue people in about the writer of Altered Carbon, which if one reads the books and follows the fandom, knows he is a piece of work. Not that he really hid it in his books, people really didn't like hearing it though.

Whedon was really post my time, I saw the movie Buffy, except I really did not like High School, being a weird math nerd with a funny accent to going to punk rocker. My wife liked Firefly somewhat, though I'm not that big a fan of westerns, living out west, one saw that the Hollywood version was totally made up. I mean Cormac McCarthy does a better version, though I doubt we'll be seeing Blood Meridian as a sci-fi adaptation anytime soon you know uh ... then again (begins typing notes).

“The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others.”
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases