• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judging character performance

Hereticus

First Post
Clerics who refuse to help and heal or do not remain faithful to their deity.
It is up to the deity (DM) to punish the Cleric for not following their deity.

There is noting wrong with an evil cleric charging for healing.

Fighters who hang back from combat or attempt to steal, or fail to boldly lead.
That is called role playing. It is up to the party to decide what behavior is appropriate.

Magic-users who seek to engage in melee or ignore magic items they could employ in crucial situations.
Such wizards who rush into combat usually do not survive long.

A character that refused to use a key item may be relieved of it by the party (democracy in action).

Thieves who boldly engage in frontal attacks or refrain from acquisition of an extra bit of treasure when the opportunity presents itself.
Again, this is role playing.

“cautious” characters who do not pull their own weight.
If the player is experienced, then the group needs to take it up with the player.

This is the only example I can think of for the DM to get involved. If the group dynamic is being destroyed by a destructive player, they should be dis-invited to the game if it continues.

Hereticus

First Post
I wonder how Tenser/Ernie felt about this?
I had never seen a character like Tenser in any game I played... at least one that survived.

Tenser was most likely a creation that did not nor could not happen in any game, an NPC that was not developed from first level, but started at a high level.

Hereticus

First Post
actually, i think tenser and mordenkain were actual characters played in gary gygax´s D&D party... (correct me if i am wrong)
Probably so... under archaic rules.

And as storytellers often do... their exploits were romanticized (aka exaggerated or invented).

The point being, has anyone here played in a game that featured wizards that acted as warriors... and survived?

I like playing non-standard concepts, but in my opinion it is bad for the group when a player plays a character that is ineffective or has no chance at survival.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I like playing non-standard concepts, but in my opinion it is bad for the group when a player plays a character that is ineffective or has no chance at survival.
Yes, though they usually had a level in fighter or two (for the weapon proficiency/armor: used still spell).

He was a Sorceror not a Wizard as well.

Abciximab

Explorer
I agree about halfway.

On the one hand, trying to force characters into fullfilling an archetype sucks. Let people build the characters they want and play the characters they want and don't get cranky because one of the "roles" isn't being filled. Also, with all the options out there, the same class can be built many different ways and a character shouldn't be pidgeonholed.

*snip*

I'm not saying that the cleric has to save all her spells for healing. But when you have a character that fills a role, FILL THE ROLE. Contribute your skills to the group.

I agree with the first part. I might agree with the second part, but only with the idea that you should be willing to help the entire party not helping some while refusing help to others.

I've played a battle cleric that doled out healing (Via Spontaneous Casting), but there was one individual that always complained that I wasn't "playing right" because I memorized offensive spells and not useful things like Lesser Restoration to heal all his ills. I say if you think we need a healer so bad, play one yourself.

With all my campaigns I tell the players play what you'll enjoy, don't worry about filling a role. We've played without Clerics, we've played without Rogues, the only arcane caster in the current campaign is a Duskblade. In some instances it makes things a little more challenging, in some instances in actually makes it easier. Most of the time these abscences are not even noticed.

The point being, has anyone here played in a game that featured wizards that acted as warriors... and survived?

Oh yeah. Bootsy a Gnome Sorcerer (with one level of fighter) in my Barrow campaign used Mage Armor for defence and was not afraid to enter melee, be it ranged weapons (he was the master of the heavy xbow) or hand to hand.

Last edited:

hopeless

Adventurer
And?

Do you agree with this description of character performance?

Bullgrit

I've seen paladin player's who backstabbed unarmed and defenceless prisoners for no reason only to turn around and say because their victim is evil even though the said prisoner only agreed to help to save their families who they've now been murdered in cold blood in front of, I myself have run a halfling sorceror who engaged in melee because she was trying to protect the other members of the party and the only magical item she found and owned (Cloak of Elvenkind) was taken away during a session where I wasn't present so the rogue could use the cloak to sneak up on an enemy camp that wasn't even done because the party was attacked before he could do so, and no the cloak wasn't returned with every one of those useful magical items snatched up by other PC's and when I returned the favour I got accused of being a thief by them!
My character then multiclassed as a rogue since I certainly wasn't getting anything out of continuing as a sorceror thanks to the addition fo a wizard character who somehow manages to copy the metamagic feats my character has, so no that isn't a sign of poor performance in fact its a sign the others aren't being played well or a sign that someone is trying to roleplay and not powergame!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads