Juiblex - Create Slime

Cinnom

First Post
In Fiendish Codex I, there's a monster named Juiblex (the demon lord of slimes and oozes, reprinted from Book of Vile Darkness) that has an ability called Create Slime. This text on it is as follows:

Create Slime (Su) Once every other round, Juiblex can spew forth a patch of green slime (DMG 76) anywhere within 20 feet of himself (including at a target, making a ranged touch attack with a bonus of +22) as a free action.

Here's the text on DMG 76 for Green Slime:

Green Slime (CR 4): This dungeon peril is a dangerous variety of normal slime. Green slime devours flesh and organic materials on contact and is even capable of dissolving metal. Bright green, wet, and sticky, it clings to walls, floors, and ceilings in patches, reproducing as it consumes organic matter. It drops from walls and ceilings when it detects movement (and possible food) below.
A single 5-foot square of green slime deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage per round while it devours flesh. On the first round of contact, the slime can be scraped off a creature (most likely destroying the scraping device), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Anything that deals cold or fire damage, sunlight, or a remove disease spell destroys a patch of green slime. Against wood or metal, green slime deals 2d6 points of damage per round, ignoring metal’s hardness but not that of wood. It does not harm stone.

This issue I'm having is whether or not a player hit by Juiblex's Create Slime has all of his gear affected as well, or just the character. Since he's making an attack with it I would think it would only affect the character (not an area), like Disintegrate. Otherwise it would allow a Reflex saving throw. But I'm not entirely sure, and I'm the player having half of my gear nuked so I'm probably a bit biased.

Any opinions or relevant rules are much appreciated. Thanks.

irdeggman

First Post
Here's the text on DMG 76 for Green Slime:

Green Slime (CR 4): This dungeon peril is a dangerous variety of normal slime. Green slime devours flesh and organic materials on contact and is even capable of dissolving metal. Bright green, wet, and sticky, it clings to walls, floors, and ceilings in patches, reproducing as it consumes organic matter. It drops from walls and ceilings when it detects movement (and possible food) below.
A single 5-foot square of green slime deals 1d6 points of Constitution damage per round while it devours flesh. On the first round of contact, the slime can be scraped off a creature (most likely destroying the scraping device), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Anything that deals cold or fire damage, sunlight, or a remove disease spell destroys a patch of green slime. Against wood or metal, green slime deals 2d6 points of damage per round, ignoring metal’s hardness but not that of wood. It does not harm stone.
This issue I'm having is whether or not a player hit by Juiblex's Create Slime has all of his gear affected as well, or just the character. Since he's making an attack with it I would think it would only affect the character (not an area), like Disintegrate. Otherwise it would allow a Reflex saving throw. But I'm not entirely sure, and I'm the player having half of my gear nuked so I'm probably a bit biased.

Well since the "attack" itself does nothing except to cover the target with the slime then the only thing that applies after beign covered is the slime itself.

And the text on green slime (see bolded area) specifies what it does to equipment (and no saving throw so you can't get around it by using the PC's saves to avoid the slime damage).

Pretty much works like any other item that does damage via spray or splash.

Acid: You can throw a flask of acid as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. A direct hit deals 1d6 points of acid damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the acid hits takes 1 point of acid damage from the splash.

Whereas acid arrow only damages the target not the gear

A magical arrow of acid springs from your hand and speeds to its target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The arrow deals 2d4 points of acid damage with no splash damage. For every three caster levels (to a maximum of 18th), the acid, unless somehow neutralized, lasts for another round, dealing another 2d4 points of damage in that round.

And acid from environment effects in the DMG

ACID EFFECTS
Corrosive acids deals 1d6 points of damage per round of exposure except in the case of total immersion (such as into a vat of acid), which deals 10d6 points of damage per round. An attack with acid, such as from a hurled vial or a monster’s spittle, counts as a round of exposure.

The fumes from most acids are inhaled poisons. Those who come close enough to a large body of acid to dunk a creature in it must make a DC 13 Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution damage. All such characters must make a second save 1 minute later or take another 1d4 points of Constitution damage.

Creatures immune to acid’s caustic properties might still drown in it if they are totally immersed (see Drowning).

Oh and welcome to the boards.

frankthedm

First Post
And the text on green slime (see bolded area) specifies what it does to equipment (and no saving throw so you can't get around it by using the PC's saves to avoid the slime damage).

Pretty much works like any other item that does damage via spray or splash..
Yeah, getting coated in green slime nukes your stuff. It's not often such attacks come about in the 3E ruleset, so it's kinda understandable there were doubts the ability was so brutal. One of the main reasons Juiblex is still sticking around. Nobody strong enough to fight it, wants to bother killing It because of all the gear that will get wrecked. Even in first edition the Slime Lord had crappy treasure;

Two 30% chances of 1d6x1000 Silver peices
Two 25% chances of 1d2x1000 Electrum peices
Two 50% chances of 1d4 gems

A super-powered group doing the "Fight your way through the Monster Manual" would be better off skipping that Demon Lord.

At the level you might be fighting Juiblex, if you HAVE to fight It, it would be a good idea having a caster blast you with fire attacks to roast the slime off you.

green slime said:
And remember, I get psionic in large clumps.
I thought that was Grey Ooze and Yellow Mold?

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
I thought that was Grey Ooze and Yellow Mold?

1e Monster Manual has a single line stating that there is a chance I get psionics in large clumps. *sigh* It all went down hill from there. I blame Oliver North and Ronald Reagan. I think it had something to do with me winning the popular vote, back in '84 when I had my "Green Slime for President" campaign. If it weren't for that strange American voting system, the world might look very different.

frankthedm

First Post
1e Monster Manual has a single line stating that there is a chance I get psionics in large clumps. *sigh* It all went down hill from there.
Unless there was a change in the text from the first cover [Monster Ensamble] and my copy with the second Cover [Red dragon Vs Pegasai flock], 1E Green Slime does not get psionics in it's stat column nor in i's description.

my copy of the 1EMM said:
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
_____Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

Maybe the DMG has that notation?

green slime

First Post
Unless there was a change in the text from the first cover [Monster Ensamble] and my copy with the second Cover [Red dragon Vs Pegasai flock], 1E Green Slime does not get psionics in it's stat column nor in i's description.

Maybe the DMG has that notation?

Damn... you're right. Just checked the DMG notation and its not there either... wonder where I got that idea?

Remove ads