D&D (2024) Jumping ahead: Bring back Bloodied for monsters

Bloodied would also help one make an estimated guess when you can hit a monster with sleep or colour spray.

I don't want to play a game with penalties for being bloodied. I really liked the 4e way of being more successible for certain attacks but also unlocking abilities.
There are already abilities that are basically: when bloodied -> life cleric healing channel divinity and champion regeneration IIRC.

CM

Adventurer
My players all very much liked having the bloodied tag since 4e and we kept on using it in 5e. I would like to see it return if done correctly.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My problem was more with the multitude of conditions in 4e and the effect that had in play. I thought 5e did well in paring those down, and making combat less reliant on them.
My favorite 4e character was a damage-lite Warlock that imposed status conditions on the enemy. In effect I dumped barrels of molasses on them: you are still standing there, but try to do anything.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I just hate the term “bloodied”. Not sure why.

But other than that, I’m all for the idea that a monster gains an ability, or otherwise changes behavior, when health dips below a threshold.

Remove ads