• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E June 27 Q&A: Modular Features, Paladin Alignment and Legendary Creatures

Obryn

Hero
I disagree. Pinning down definitions helps to refine understanding of what's under discussion.
Or we find the obvious stuff and work outwards. For 1e/2e/3e paladins, alignment has a mechanical effect; that much is clear and obvious. Whether or not you want to call it a "mechanic" is navel-gazing and avoiding the topic. Because the topic under discussion is generally this mechanical effect.

-O

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Or we find the obvious stuff and work outwards. For 1e/2e/3e paladins, alignment has a mechanical effect; that much is clear and obvious.

See, this is why precise terms and definitions are necessary. Alignment, unto itself, has no mechanical effect for paladins; you play a paladin, with its requisite Lawful Good alignment, and that's that, with no mechanical effect.

Now, the paladin's existing mechanics have an alignment-dependent component, it's true, but that doesn't make their alignment a "mechanic" any more than a ranger's favored terrain class features makes the terrain itself "mechanical" in nature. That's the sort of subtle distinction you only realize when you bother to try and define what it is you're talking about. :p

Whether or not you want to call it a "mechanic" is navel-gazing and avoiding the topic. Because the topic under discussion is generally this mechanical effect.

It's more correct to say that dismissing that discussion is facile and derailing the topic, because the topic under discussion is exactly a paladin is, and if their Lawful Good nature is an inherent element of the class.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'm in favor of alignment restrictions for two reasons: One, these alignments are indelibly tied to the classes' identities. Everyone knows Paladins are lawful good and Druids are neutral. If you take that away, it erodes the "shared language" and classic D&D feel.

Two, why even have alignments at all if you don't use them to describe things? Why say that Orcs are chaotic evil if you're afraid to say that Paladins are lawful good?

Obryn

Hero
See, this is why precise terms and definitions are necessary. Alignment, unto itself, has no mechanical effect for paladins; you play a paladin, with its requisite Lawful Good alignment, and that's that, with no mechanical effect.

Now, the paladin's existing mechanics have an alignment-dependent component, it's true, but that doesn't make their alignment a "mechanic" any more than a ranger's favored terrain class features makes the terrain itself "mechanical" in nature. That's the sort of subtle distinction you only realize when you bother to try and define what it is you're talking about. :p

It's more correct to say that dismissing that discussion is facile and derailing the topic, because the topic under discussion is exactly a paladin is, and if their Lawful Good nature is an inherent element of the class.
I'm not going down this particular rabbit hole with you. The only thing dumber than arguing about whether something with mechanical effects is a mechanic, is arguing about that argument. I'm out.

-O

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
With the stated changes to Alignment and the Paladin I'm starting to wonder what exactly is going to be left?

Will Alignment still be in the game without me having to purchase something to add it back in, it what form, which serves what purpose?

What will the Paladin's identity look like post-changes? Will the class description merely have a block of descriptive text in place of the words "Lawful Good"?

Will the narrative of fall from grace, redemption or irredeemable, be just that, a narrative divorced from the Paladin specifically and with no supporting mechanics in any case?

I think I know the answers to these questions and it points to something more generic.

Last edited:

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
That's the Fighter-Knight who adheres to the chivalric ideal. What room then is left for the Paladin?

The answer we're presented with so far it to grab 3E divine melee magic from the Cleric, give it exclusively to the Paladin, and give the Paladin stronger magic casting powers.

Basically melee Clerics.

pemerton

Legend
That's the Fighter-Knight who adheres to the chivalric ideal. What room then is left for the Paladin?
That they are blessed by (the) god(s). That they are saints (eg St Edward; St Joan). That they are holy champions (Arthur, Galahad, Percival, Aragorn).

The answer we're presented with so far it to grab 3E divine melee magic from the Cleric, give it exclusively to the Paladin, and give the Paladin stronger magic casting powers.

Basically melee Clerics.
There are a range of ways to reflect the connection between paladins and divinity. Spell-casting is just one (and not my personal favourite). The AD&D abilities are another.

Remove ads