• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

June In Character Event

MistyThorin

First Post
Clambake!

Swimming contests, races, archery contests... and plenty of lobster, stuffed clams, clam chowder, corn on the cob, watermelon, and other goodies!

For the more sedentary, a storytelling competition (as opposed to the standard bardic contest) and maybe even a pie-eating contest if we can figure out a way to score it.

And this could be anywhere. Waterdeep is on the shore, Ford Keep is on a river, and Sigil... well, surely an appropriate spot could be found or created somewhere near the Bazaar.

Bhryn

First Post
Sort of like an all round fayre, with events and prizes and the like. You could have an excuse for bards to play music, excuse for foods and revelry and an excuse for people to show of their skills in some games, like dunktanks and the like. Sort of like an 'All Fools Day' - encourage people to come dressed up in silly stuff, like kids clothes and the like. (well, maybe that would only be useful on an actual April Fools day...)

Jaka Blader

First Post
My idea

I say have a day filled with events and then towards the end have a dance to wind down and relax with lights all around and a band. But have it be more of a softer theme but casual clothes of course.

Acey

First Post
I think the contests shouldn't all be around one main idea or theme...IMO there should be the swimming, pie-eating what have you, and also have very combat oriented contests. Some of the darker or 'tough guy' characters probably would not want anything too do with a contest in which they couldnt show any form of battle prowess.....
I'd like to see sparring matches, with supervision of course, to make sure no godding occurs. I'd just like to see contests where even the brutes can participate....and not limited to actual combat...Achery (as stated above), Knive throwing, Wood chopping what have you.

Babylon Logos

First Post
The sparring contest was done already. With the grand opening of the TMP. Took three days to do the whole thing. The combat idea just takes too long for something that's supposed to be a day event.

Necriphim

First Post
how bout this?

a sailing ship race might be cool, or even an airship race, or perhaps a flying competition where the competitors can use any means of flight to race from one point to the other.

if thats not good, then perhaps a pet show, where everyone brings thier favorite pet or even monster, all dolled up and ready to show themselves off.

i do like the dancing idea later, or even perhaps the story telling as well.

one more thing might be able to work as well, a spell slinging contest..each contestant who enters gets to use three spells only to see what they can do. judging can be based on type of spell used, level of difficulty and spell originality as well...well those are my ideas, thanks

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Great ideas, Some really fresh stuff here! It's good to see the cogs still turn in those dusty brain-pans!! Keep it coming!

Babylon Logos

First Post
Mmm. Spell Slinging is a fun idea. But how would you control it? The binds of magic tend to run wide. I would have to suggest keeping spells at 9th level and below. Let's face it, an Epic Spell would win difficulty easy, even the lowliest epic spell requires you to roll a check to see if you even cast it.

Keeping to non-destructive spells would be nice, but, there is a certain beauty to watch a mage control the explosions and shape and form them to meet her whim (besides, kind of hard to judge an enchantment-only type thing.) Obviously, any enchantment spell cast upon the judges is grounds for immediant dismissal from the contest. No fun when someone casts Charm Monster or Suggestion on the judges and bends them to her will. :]

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I think larger ideas with contests requiring multiple judges and the like should be kept for a special occasion, like our own version of UnCon. With it being a one night event, we have to try and not fry my poor little brain!

Remove ads