• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

June: What are you reading?

Pozatronic

First Post
Nobody started one yet?

I started Elric; The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone: Volume 1). I tried reading some Elric back when White Wolf was reprinting them under their Borealis imprint. I hated it. I'm a bit more aware of Elric's historical significance in relation to the genre, and I wanted to give Elric a do over. I hated it...at first. I'm on the third story, and I think I'm starting to see the appeal Elric has held for so long, although I'm very much aware of fact that they lack the sort of "sophistication" that I'm used to.

Krug

Newshound
Odd and the Frost Giants - Neil Gaiman's book; a rather thin affair steeped in Norse myth. Nothing spectacular but fairly enjoyable.

Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumphra Lahiri. Lovely collection of short fiction by a Pulitzer Prize winner.

delericho

Legend
I'm catching up on reading RPG sourcebooks I had built up over the past several months.

So far this month I've read through Paizo's "Guide to Korsova" and "Classic Monsters Revisited" (both excellent) and "The Old World Bestiary" for WFRP (which was okay, although the selection of monsters was extremely conservative in scope - Orcs and Goblins and Zombies and Dragons again).

Next up is "Spires of Altdorf" (part two of the "Paths of the Damned" trilogy) for WFRP, followed by Pathfinder 8 & 9, and then Castle Whiterock.

Somewhere in amongst that lot, there might be a PHB or similar...

Wombat

First Post
Recently re-read Bernard Cornwell's Archer Trilogy and am doing a re-read on Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantium books, after which I will probably read Cokie Robert's Ladies of Liberty.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Cruel Zinc Melodies - Glenn Cook

I have been following Cook's fantasy noir series since the late 1980s. Unfortunately his writing has become tired and tiresome in his last three offerings. Garrett P.I. is a joke of a character any more -- and not in the fun sense. This book has its moments, but Cook needs to read his own earlier writings in this series and see how off the mark he has gotten.

Pinotage

Explorer
delericho said:
I'm catching up on reading RPG sourcebooks I had built up over the past several months.

Me too. I'm trying to catch up on reading so I can review a few more products. Blood Throne Campaign Setting is amazing, as are the two Book of Experimental Mights.

Pinotage

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Not reading much right now. Been busy writing and moreso watching silent films on DVD. Still, I am working on Ken Follett's Whiteout and Eric P. Kelly's The Trumpeter of Krakow. Also been reading various primary source documents by Federalists and Anti-Federalists for a conference in Colorado Springs that I'm attending in early July.

bento

Explorer
Bouncing between:

Sekigahara 1600 - The Final Struggle for Power by Anthony Bryant
The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Northwest of Earth by CL Moore

I just ordered Field of Glory, miniature rules for ancient & medieval armies from Amazon.com this weekend.

Remove ads