D&D 5E Just a reality check.

Raith5

Adventurer
I think the game has been well received so far. The way I look at the basic game is that it is not aimed at me because I have been playing D&D for 30+ years (and I am still hooked on 4e), but I think it is going to be a good starting point for those new to the hobby. And that is what matters at the moment. I will have to wait to the PHB and DMG to see if 5e will get it hooks into me!

AstroCat

Adventurer
Well I did the playtest for the whole time it was around, so I'm positive I like the game, definitely tons more than 4e, and unless something bizarre happens with the PHB, 5e will probably be my fav D&D game system yet.

I mean this is a tough crowd and if that poll thread is any indicator plus the blog reviews I've checked out I really think 5e is in great shape, all things considered. If Gencon goes well for 5e then they are gonna be in even better shape moving forward.

Nebulous

Legend
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right? The book has gone off to the printer, over and done with. I can't imagine they are going to release a book with 10 pages of errata as soon as it hits shelves. I get that some people don't understand design choices which is fine, but at this point you are simply going to have to house rule whatever you want them to change. As a side note even though I love the new system I am completely distraught from what I'm reading here and on the wizards forums. It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?

Complainers *are* very vocal. Looking at the poll here on Enworld, the people that like the game are pretty many. Few hate it, and another significant chunk just haven't decided or think it's just meh.

Mercurius

Legend
I haven't been reading the Wizards forums, but I don't see this all-out hate the OP describes. It seems that the overall reaction is generally positive, perhaps closer to 3E than to 4E.

Yeah, I'd say most of the discussion here is pretty positive. While there are a small number of strident complaints, most critical observations seem to take the form of "well this is interesting" or "is this how this works?". I don't see that as negative, just exploring the system.

Nebulous

Legend
Yeah, I'd say most of the discussion here is pretty positive. While there are a small number of strident complaints, most critical observations seem to take the form of "well this is interesting" or "is this how this works?". I don't see that as negative, just exploring the system.

I agree, it seems by far mostly positive. Even the little things I *don't* like are so easily frigging houseruled out that it is inconsequential, and even FUN to houserule. I guess it's the amateur game designer in me that will never actually design a game so i just tinker with my own. In contrast, i rarely tinkered with 4e because it did not seem very...receptive to modification.

Stalker0

Legend
I also have noticed that posting on 5e has been mostly positive.

We have a few threads getting into some strong arguments about certain mechanics (saving throws at high level is one)...but overall people seem to pretty happy so far.

IronWolf

blank
I definitely seem to be seeing more positive than negative in the various social circles I hang out in - which typically have an old-school slant.

the Jester

Legend
It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?

Welcome to the Internet.

I think 5e will ultimately be as well-received as 3e was at release, which is to say: Very.

Remove ads