• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Just a reality check.

Mercule

Adventurer
I've only posted a couple comments about 5e, and they could probably be viewed as negative. It's very context specific, though. I was responding to others.

My actual opinion is that 5E looks amazing. The Basic rules look an awful lot like 1E channeling 3E (or vice versa). It looks to have most of the simplicity of 1E, with the consistency of 3E (which are both Good Things, IMO).

I didn't even realize that feats were missing until after my first full read -- I saw the sidebar, but it didn't sink in because it's a full game without them. Note, I definitely intend to use feats and the PHB, but that proved, to me, that the modularity thing is workable.

Based on the play tests and my read through of the Basic rules, I'm very confident that 5E will be my favorite edition.

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Despite my concerns, I do like it.

My main concern is that there are things built into Basic that I personally feel should have been options and not part of the baseline of the game (Ability score increases). It is tougher to dig them out than to add them in. Other than that, I see it as a very playable game.

I am not all that crazy about the ability score increases either (and don't want to replace them with feats). Maybe it's the old school sensibility in me.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the ability score increases. It's just that there seems to be so many of them.

Are you thinking of stripping them out?

Mercule

Adventurer
I am not all that crazy about the ability score increases either (and don't want to replace them with feats). Maybe it's the old school sensibility in me.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the ability score increases. It's just that there seems to be so many of them.

Yeah. That is one thing I didn't care for, either. Since I do intend to use feasts, I got over it, but it did cause a second look.

Abstruse

Legend
It has to do with human nature. It's hard to get into a detailed discussion of what you like because, well, what are you going to say? "I really like this thing. It's cool."

However, if you don't like something, it gives you a lot more to talk about. "Here's the math behind this mechanic and here's the math if they'd done this instead" or "This option says this about the game world and how it works and it'd be more realistic if they did this" and so on. A lot of what I'm seeing is, "I really like this edition except for one or two things that I'm going to talk about a lot!" It's just how the internet is.

If you can go through 100+ pages of rules and only find a couple of things you don't like, I think that says a lot about how solid the product is.

JeffB

Legend
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right? The book has gone off to the printer, over and done with. I can't imagine they are going to release a book with 10 pages of errata as soon as it hits shelves. I get that some people don't understand design choices which is fine, but at this point you are simply going to have to house rule whatever you want them to change. As a side note even though I love the new system I am completely distraught from what I'm reading here and on the wizards forums. It seems as though wizard has completely failed at this release, and that really sucks because I was hoping people would like this system better after 4e, or maybe everyone does like it and the complainers are just a vocal minority or something?

I think you are overreacting, just like 99% of all gamers posting on the Internet :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints

Truly, this is not my experience. And I am here, at WOTC, at TheRPGSite...why do you claim it's all complaints? I am seeing mostly praise.

Tortoise

First Post

I am. If the monsters have the increases built into their stats it will make things a bit tougher and require figuring out where their increases were placed.

DonAdam

Explorer
Most of the complaints, IME, have been nitpicking. For example, I'm a bit worried about fighting styles and don't like multiple attacks; these are minor concerns easily fixed with house rules. Overall, the general atmosphere seems to be one of excitement.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Most of the reactions I've seen have been positive.

I am very pleased with it. There are a few issues, but they're very minor compared to the kinds of problems I've seen in most other games in the first printing.

Remove ads