D&D 5E Just a reality check.

IronWolf

blank
Actually, this is something I specifically wanted to call out: 5E looks very friendly to house rules.

Because 5E is designed for modularity, and the Basic rules look like they pulled it off, I'm upbeat about my prospects for tweaking things.

Agreed. I think The Basic Rules will serve as a base platform for my game quite well. It seems to provide a good solid foundation to work with. Much like the reason I like Swords & Wizardry. Strong foundation to tweak as I see fit with house rules. Largely because I am in the camp that thinks it is easier to add rules to a game or systems to a game than to take them away.

IronWolf

blank
I mean why bother with house rules when you've got official rules allowing you to do what you want that have already been playtested?

Now I haven't seen or even kept in touch with what is coming in the PHB or DMG, but the Basic Rules pretty much do what I want. I only need small tweaks and adjustments. I don't feel the need for full on 'modules' at this point. But more tweaks that feel better suited for house rules (i.e. getting rid of full HP recovery for a long rest - I doubt that sees a module for it, as it is just a tweak).

I downloaded the Basic Rules, and have been going through them. So far I haven't seen anything that makes me want to add 5e to the list of games I DM or play, but I'm reserving judgement until we see the final product (PHB and DMG). I'll evaluate them at that point and see if I'm interested.

Li Shenron

Legend
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right?

Mostly agree but don't forget that:

- 5e is going to have a revision every year; it's almost certain that the revision will only involve non-fundamental things, but still some gamers are already looking forward to future changes

- other publishers will certainly follow the 5e trend, copy some ideas from it, add their own and publish alternative system (or just publish "variant" supplements to 5e); they'll be receptive for the most common complaints about 5e

- some people don't necessarily hope that WotC will change anything, but they do hope their DMs are listening :)

The biggest value/vision of 5e is "make the game what you want". Not always the system allows to do so, because some things are too much ingrained or pervasive to be simple to change. But I think 5e is still much easier than previous editions for this purpose. So whenever we don't like something, we should first of all think about what could be the easiest way to HR that on our own.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
So the internet has pretty much completely ripped apart the basic game and everywhere I go it's almost nothing but complaints, fix this, fix that. So I just wanted to make sure, you guys realize the fundamental sweeping game changes aren't going to happen at this point... right?

That's no reason to stop criticizing things you think are wrong with a product. If people just ignore it and don't give feedback, nothing will ever change. Even if sales were to tank, no one would know why. Feedback is important. Without feedback, maybe some suit at Hasbro thinks, "flumphs. We didn't have enough flumphs." Then in 5.1 E flumphs are a playable class, the module, F1, Attack of the Flumphs comes out, followed by the megadungeon, Flumpan Athuk.

drjones

Explorer
I have not noticed more negativity than in previous editions. We were griping about D&D being broken and boring back in the 80's as well.

The only difference is now there is the internet so the tiny, tiny minority of the most invested and argumentative fans can nit-pick in public and give the impression that they are the authoritative majority.

This may or may not surprise you but a lot of people play D&D regularly and never visit any websites on the subject or share their opinions because it's just a fun thing to do now and then with their friends.

Sir Hawk

First Post
I've been getting the exact opposite impression. People seem to really like what they've seen so far. Even a lot of diehard grognards are at worst indifferent to 5e. But generally it seems like 5e is getting great reception.

Xodis

First Post
I love 5e so far and can't wait for more material. That being said I'm pretty easy to please, It's hard for me to not enjoy a game or be so disgusted with it I cant have fun.

Remove ads