Just discovered Castles and Crusades

ThrorII

Adventurer
We played the heck out of C&C from around 2008 to 2014, using the 3rd printing rules. I ran a year-long Greyhawk campaign in the Gnarley Forest that my 6 players felt was 'epic on a small scale'.

We moved to 5th Ed, then dropped it all for B/X-OSE.

Hex08

Hero
C&C is great. I picked it up around seven or so years ago, when Pathfinder 1E was still my game of choice. I wanted to run and old school campaign (Against the Giants) so I used C&C. I stopped running Pathfinder right before 2E came out and while I don't run many D&D style games anymore, when I do its using C&C to run an old adventure. I am considering running Night Below soon and if I do C&C will be the rules I use.

Last edited:

It's good, but I like the Castle Keeper's Guide and the Monsters & Treasure covers even more.

View attachment 271195

View attachment 271196
Just putting this up for comparison.... Don't know here that beast in the background & above came from...
s-l640.jpg

Jahydin

Hero
I mostly just stick to the Rules Cyclopedia, but with a fair few tweaks and house-rules.
Interesting set of house rules! Are they your own?

I like the descriptions for attributes as "natural inclinations". I think that's why I like the SIEGE engine so much. Your natural inclinations are rolled randomly, but the attributes you want to excel at are determined by the Class and the player.

Thanks for sharing.

It's an interesting system, and some of the "A" series adventures look really good. I'd love to run them at some point.

I'm not a fan of the fantasy racism (species-ism?) in the players handbook (play a half-orc if you want to play a social outcast who is reviled by all the NPCs - with the unfortunate implication that they deserve to be treated like that, given their "unpleasant demeanour" and "unsavoury" personalities and the way they "typically care for themselves and themselves alone") but I assume nobody actually plays the game like that?

Remove ads