Just discovered Castles and Crusades

Jahydin

Hero
I do think that if it was replaced with a more familiar D20 system, even if just as a sidebar in the main rulebook (not hidden in the CKG), it would make the game more approachable for would-be switchers.
That is helpful. Here is what's pinned on their Discord for anyone who wants it:

Converting DCs to Challenge Levels.
IF the d20 DC is then the C&C CL is...
DC 1‐10 = CL 0
DC 11‐15 = CL 2
DC 16‐20 = CL 4
DC 21‐25 = CL 6
DC 26‐30 = CL 8

bulletmeat

Adventurer
roBy not having a "roll-under" system reminiscent of THAC0 with positive modifiers used to subtract from a DC - which is set based on what your favored ability checks are - and again modified by a Challenge Rating. (I guess that's how it works - I'm actually too confused by it now to adequately explain it.)
I agree on the books explanation issue, but that's not how it works. This is a d20 system like 3e. 12 & 18 are the Challenge Base that the CK uses and the difficulty goes up from there Depending on the Challenge Level. Players roll d20, add attribute modifier, and level IF it is a skill the class would have or IF you are rolling saving throws. So a ranger, who has the tracking class ability, adds his level to tracking checks while other classes don't.

Along with some other options that I find bizarre, such as setting the default to 15 and adjusting the roll by +3 if prime and -3 if not prime.
I use this option to keep the challenge base simple (easier for me to add from 5's) for figure quickly when the action starts.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Looking for some help here.
Anybody in the UK know of a store that has the latest C&C PHB alternate cover version in stock? I'm drawing a complete blank when searching for it.
Thanks.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Been looking for a little while and sort of figured that might be the answer.
I know I'm late to the party for this new printing, but does feel like it only had a limited UK distribution - most of the eBay offers I've seen are actually in the US (or Australia) so the shipping tends to hurt!
Thanks for asking on my behalf (y)

Been looking for a little while and sort of figured that might be the answer.
I know I'm late to the party for this new printing, but does feel like it only had a limited UK distribution - most of the eBay offers I've seen are actually in the US (or Australia) so the shipping tends to hurt!
Thanks for asking on my behalf (y)
Don’t despair, they’ve said that all new printings will be the tribute covers.

Remove ads