D&D (2024) Just drop the backgrounds.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, whether you enjoy it or not is subjective. Whether it works better for most players is something that WotC can test and measure.
Yes, but whether or not something is "clever" is subjective. That's what I'm saying. I was calling out your claim that the design was clever being objectively true.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, but whether or not something is "clever" is subjective. That's what I'm saying. I was calling out your claim that the design was clever being objectively true.
Making a decision that does an end run on what is obvious to meet customer needs better is clever.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Making the structure mirror actual play is a good thing: and putting Class first is how I see people conceive characters. That's the point of a Class system.
When a character dies in a session at our table 9 times out of 10 when we ask the player "What's your next character?" the answer is what class they are going to play. 1 times out of 10 it's a race. Never once has "Folk Hero" or "Sailor" been an answer.

jasper

Rotten DM
They mad because people did not use backgrounds except for the skills. But I don't recall any adventure in which backgrounds were important. and only about 3 or 4 of the season modules which your back ground was of use.

Remove ads