D&D (2024) Just drop the backgrounds.

Horwath

Legend
With backgrounds being fully customizable, there is no need for them at all mechanically.
Keep them in description chapter of character creation as fluff.

Add 2 skills to you 1st level class proficiencies. Drop the class skills limit.
add choice of 2 languages/tool/weapons total to your 1st level class proficiencies.
Take one feat.

Last edited:

Given a choice between choosing fully-fleshed and crunchy background, and a background where I can pick any two skills/languages/tools and weapons to my list of proficiencies in addition to a feat, I would probably pick the former for it's familiarity and ease of use. I won't be trying to guess what skills/languages/tool/weapons an Acolyte is likely to have based on some fluffy description. I won't need to because it would be there. And if don't like a particular feature of that crunchy background, I can tweak it with the DM's permission. :p

Let's not give the poor DM a headache. ;)

I'm actually thinking the opposite - with customisable backgrounds and a selection of level dependent feats why bother to have Classes?

Just turn everything into a Customisable Background
Would it still be D&D if things went in that particular direction? ;) This question or something similar to it has been asked by players and DMs alike whenever a new edition is rolled out. Those new to 1D&D and D&D in general would probably say yes or maybe. Veteran players of a particular past edition of D&D will probably say no or maybe. It's in the literal eye(s) of the Beholder. :p

I really like backgrounds although wealways forgot inspiration and the background feature.

The OneDnD backgrounds are a big imorovement. Some crunch, some fluff and helping new and old players to bring their character to life.

I added background 1st level feats in my regular game at school, and the kids really lile them and chose them because of flavour, not mechanics.

Most interstingly, the new backgrounds work close to the battlemaster builds. Giving ideas but leaving everything open for customization. We need more of that, not less.

Horwath

Legend
No thank you. My players would rather pick a thematic background than custom pick mechanical bits. Doesn't fit their style. The current approach of providing the custom option as default and then example background options is the best of both worlds.
you can always have examples in PHB, and I'm looking forward to see their ideas.

But as it is customizable, we do not need two steps in character creation.

background, then class.
Just mold it into class at 1st level. Then you have only one step in character creation after race.
Then if needed you can look at some examples.

also if you remove class skill restriction, you can make your background better as you will have minimum of 4 skills and two tools/languages to customize it, plus additional if you class gives more than 2 skills at 1st level currently.

Remathilis

Legend
With backgrounds being fully customizable, there is no need for them at all mechanically.
Keep them in description chapter of character creation as fluff.

Add 2 skills to you 1st level class proficiencies. Drop the class skills limit.
add choice of 2 languages/tool/weapons total to your 1st level class proficiencies.
Take one feat.
Where are you putting ASI? Back into race?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases