• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just finished new Monte Cook adventure - Temple of Mysteries: In Media Res *spoilers*

reveal

Adventurer
http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Temple

GREAT one-shot adventure. :D

I had 5 players, so all but one NPC was used. All in all, everyone had a lot of fun.

The rest of the post will now use the spoiler tag.

Quick Intro: The players wake up in a room. Each player is taken aside and given a background. Each player thinks their body is playing host to a spirit named Prester Young. No one is supposed to tell anyone else and they all retain their abilities. Prester Young just wants to leave this place. Also, before the characters were knocked out by a trap, two of them were killed and replaced by dopplegangers. The players have no idea that any of them is a doppleganger until one of a few things happen near the end.

When the evening started, I only had one player playing a doppleganger. Luckily enough, before we actually started playing one of the players changed their mind and picked the other doppleganger. :)

No one was killed by any traps. The rogue was getting some really good search and disable device rolls, but they did get hurt a lot. One person was on the scaffolding when it fell in the pit and another failed his climb check horrendously and fell in to the pit.

It was funny as heck near the very end when the paladin took out his Candle of Truth. Basically, every single player said "But I'm Prester Young." :D

In the end, one doppleganger was able to escape. The paladin was at the top of the stairs when they magically sealed themselves, cutting off his head. The wizard dashed to the bottom of the stairs to get the magic item and ended up getting trapped in there forever. The last doppleganger and the cleric/barbarian fought until the doppleganger fell. The cleric/barbarian was then trapped forever since the secret knob to open the stairs could only be used once.

Everyone thought it was fun and, since it was a one shot, no one cared that they got killed. Lots of traps and puzzles to solve. Monte Cook is a genius! :)

Mindseye

Explorer
I absolutely agree! I ran this twice for my group......we have 8 players so I ran for 2 groups of 4. We used the pregen characters, I built the Temple out in Master Maze and we had a blast both times. It captures the feel of Tomb of Horrors very well and has some great twists. Not many survivors though....I'd run it as a one-shot as opposed to working it into a campaign.

The_lurkeR

First Post
Thanks for posting those spoilers Reveal.
I wasn't interested in the adventure before, but your description makes it sound pretty fun.

Edit:
For $5 I couldn't resist, so just purchased it :cool:

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
The_lurkeR said:
Thanks for posting those spoilers Reveal.
I wasn't interested in the adventure before, but your description makes it sound pretty fun.

Edit:
For $5 I couldn't resist, so just purchased it :cool:

And considering the profits go to tsunami relief, it's quiet a bargain. :)

guyjin

Explorer
I was one of the victim... err, players in reveal's game.

I feel kinda bad because, by the end of it, I was so confused about who I was or was supposed to be, I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I was supposed to want to kill the humans, but I ignored that. Not that I didn't get my wish anyway...

it had it's funny moments (like a horror movie) but overall it was pretty depressing.
like the 'cube' movie, but worse...

JoeGKushner

First Post
guyjin said:
it had it's funny moments (like a horror movie) but overall it was pretty depressing.
like the 'cube' movie, but worse...

That's usually what I hear about stuff like this. Good for tournament play but...

reveal

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
That's usually what I hear about stuff like this. Good for tournament play but...

But considering he played the rogue and was the most extremely paranoid character in the group it could have been better for him. ;)

Remove ads