Just finished The Wheel of Time books, where is my new RPG?

kronovan

Adventurer
I was able to buy a WoT hardcover at a local CON for $10 a few years ago - was unused and pretty much a throw away by the previous owner. I do think it's better that a lot of the 3e Fantasy adaptations that came out in the D20 era. While I don't have any local players that would join such a campaign, I've toyed with adapting it to either the Foundry or Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletops. Both of those VTTs rulesets support D&D 3.5 though, so it might be a more complicated task than 1st appearances.

I've also considered adapting it to True20, which is a D&D 3e derivative that I've had good success with running campaigns around IRL tables. Those rules have the advantage of a different magic system that's more free form and an optional core magic replacement called True Sorcery. T20 is also more skills focused than 3e and the book provides guidelines for homebrewing your own classes (called Roles) and races (called Backgrounds), which would make an adaptation from WoT 3e reasonably painless. I run T20 with a simplified damage system, which is the feature of that TTRPG that usually presents the biggest challenge to getting players to buy in.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I always wanted a Shannara rpg. I've been thinking the world would be just fine using Fantasy Age or Cypher System. Cypher seems to hit a lot of the marks too. Artifacts, small magic items, strange creatures, tech and magic, etc.
D&D works pretty well, too.

My roommates and I wrote a Shannara D&D Campaign Setting for 3rd Edition, back in the early 2000s. (The game was set in the "Heritage of Shannara" series, starting with Scions of Shannara.) We played it for almost 3 years, and the characters advanced all the way from 1st level to 18th. I wish I still had my notes; I lost them all when my computer died suddenly.

If I had as much spare time now as I did back then, I would totally write one for 5th Edition. And I'd probably go all the way back to the beginning, with First King of Shannara.

Remove ads