• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got my SAT scores!

Dogbrain

First Post
Kaleon Moonshae said:
We had to take it to graduate. Most of us just goofed off, not wanting to get the whole "enlistment harrassment" that everyone knows comes with a good score. The sad thing is that even goofing off (not trying, waiting till the 5 min warning, doing designs with the circles) I still scored like 80% and *STILL* got calls from the marines and navy until I was a senior in college and finally, without thinking bout it, told them I had asthma, never again did I recieve a call.

I told the Marines that I was going to a Quaker school (which I was). That finally shut 'em up.

Dogbrain

First Post
tarchon said:
It's really the PSAT/NMSQT - the SAT score just clinches it, but yeah, National Merit Finalist can get you a free ride to a lot of schools, especially the less prestigious ones, and it's usually worth some cash even at the big name outfits.

It certainly wasn't a free ride at my school. You had to be National Merit, a "legacy", a foreigner bringing in 100% cash full tuition money, or a "diversity student" (euphemism for "black") before they would look at you.

Nasma

First Post
In Australia, you get a percentile score, stating what percentage of the state you finished ahead of. 70 means that you finished ahead of 70% of the state. As you can't be ahead of yourself, the highest score is 99.95. Maybe it's because it's the system I've grown up with, but i prefer it, as it makes it seem a bit simpler.

Ferret

Explorer
In england we have SATs but they mean something different, same idea though. Instead of a score you get a level and depending on year you are in (2, 4, 6, 9) they mean different things. Also the levels are individual for english, maths and science.

(AFAIR)
In year six SATs levels are about 2-4, 2 being poor, 3 average and 4 good. You can take an '11 plus' to try and get a six but it was harder.

In year nine SATs levels are about 4-6, 3 being poor and so on. You can take a higher paper and be able to get higher levels. Like a 7 which is really good, or an 8 which is amazing.

I'm quite sure those are wrong some how. But I got an 8 in maths which is top few (5? 1%? I don't know very few AFAIR), then a 7 in science and a 6 in english.

Henry

Autoexreginated
John Q. Mayhem said:
I got a 1410!

Congratulations, John Q! That is impressive!

I only got a 1210 back in 1989, for whatever that's worth - but still scored in the top 90% or so of my class of 300. Didn't matter a whit as to business acumen, though. :)

Last edited:

tarchon

First Post
Ferret said:
In england we have SATs but they mean something different, same idea though. Instead of a score you get a level and depending on year you are in (2, 4, 6, 9) they mean different things. Also the levels are individual for english, maths and science.

I think they're more comparable to the US's ACT or AP exams. We don't really have a national testing standard, so we have a confusing alphabet soup of regional and optional exams, of which the (original) SAT is a kind of back-door IQ test (it really relies on speed, since the required skills are very elementary), the ACT is discipline-specific knowledge and skills test, and the AP is a discipline-specific placement/college credit test. Colleges may or may not use, recognize, or require any of them. There are also some SAT-associated discipline-specific exams, but they aren't very commonly used.

JPL

Adventurer
Dogbrain said:
Lemme guess, you scored in the 1200s or lower on the SATs...

Heh.

But I think Ranger Wickett makes some very good points.

I think D&D types tend to have the kind of intelligence that tests well. I've always done very well on standardized intelligence tests.

But hard work? Integrity? Organization? All very difficult for me, and a much better measure of a man that any IQ test.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
JPL said:
I think D&D types tend to have the kind of intelligence that tests well. I've always done very well on standardized intelligence tests.

But hard work? Integrity? Organization? All very difficult for me, and a much better measure of a man that any IQ test.

Yes! This is EXACTLY how I am! I've been wanting to say it but couldn't figure out how.

Remove ads